Sign in to follow this  
FzCruzer

From three 1080p screens to one 1440?

Hello all,

I have been running a three screen 1080p setup for about 5 years now.  I originally set up the rig to play Iracing, but have enjoyed the bigger display in all games that I play that can support it.  I currently play WOT, Elite Dangerous and still some Iracing.  I tend to play other games when they are older, for example I just bought Fallout 4 over the holidays to play soon.

So with the three 1080p screens I play games at a resolution of 5760x1080 and am using a 980TI graphics card.  I am really thinking of doing away with the 3 screen setup and going to one of the 1440P IPS Gsync monitors 27" monitors.

I think that my 980TI will still push a single 1440 monitor just fine for the foreseeable future.  It seems the 1440 resolution is a great place to be while 4K is still maturing. 

Has anybody gone from a 3 screen setup to a single monitor?  I know I will like the nicer resolution but am afraid that I am going to miss the large display area.  

Might sound silly, but it will be nice to have the WOT mini map where I can see it without turning my head lol.  

Anybody using a 1440 monitor, is the display quality substantially better than 1080?  The 1440 monitors are pretty pricy and do not want to have buyers remorse lol.

Also, it looks like there are some 34" 1440 screens coming very soon that have a higher refresh rate than the current 60hz available.  that might work for me but I am concerned about the higher load on my last gen graphics card and would like to skip the current gen cards.

I've never used multiple monitors for gaming but I had a 27 inch for gaming and used a 24 inch that I would usually have websites or sports shows on while I was gaming.  I just upgraded the 27 inch to the Samsung CF791 34 inch 3440x1440.  I too was concerned that my current GPU (GeForce GTX 970) would have problems with that display, but even at 100Hz I can still get 60-70 fps in WOT on ultra.  Eventually I'll bite the bullet and get at least a 1070ti card, just waiting for this stupid cryptocurrency mining phase to stop making all of the upper end cards hard to find.  None of my local stores have anyting above a GTX 1060 in stock and even those they limit to 2 per purchase.  I was in MicroCenter saturday and watch a van pull up with 3 guys and each guy bought two of the 1060's.  I'm still not sure why GPU is important to calculating bitcoin currency exchanges, I would have thought it would just be CPU intensive.

That is a very nice monitor. I am looking at the ROG Swift 34” to get the Gsync capability, but it is a $1200 monitor.

Even the 27” monitors with IPS and Gsync are $700.

Not sure yet, want to stay in the hobby budget.

Would be nice to know if 4K is going to be more viable in the next year or so.

I run dual monitors, but the one I use for gaming is: Dell 27" Gaming Monitor S2716DG. It's TN, not IPS, but it is 1440 and has G-Sync and 1ms etc etc. It's pretty sweet. Great reviews. I got it on sale for $400. My GTX 1070 handles it great.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-24-gaming-monitor-s2417dg/apd/210-aizs/monitors-monitor-accessories

i guess i am lazy.  I do not own a monitor any more and just use my vizio m422i-b1 tv as my monitor.  it seems to get the job done for 1080p since i have an older 750ti card, and am not shelling out $400 for a 1060 any time soon.