Sign in to follow this  
Vikinger

Intel Chip News - Security Flaw - fix will affect performance

Some news for my fellow techies out there:

"A massive, mysterious security flaw in Intel processors is forcing a redesign of the kernel software at the heart of all major operating systems... Since the issue lies directly in Intel’s x86-64 hardware, Windows, Linux, and Mac all need to protect against it. And worse, it appears that plugging the hole will negatively affect your PC’s performance."

"...the chip’s kernel is leaking memory, which could lead to extremely sensitive data being exposed to apps and hackers, or make it easier for attackers to inject malware into your PC."

"How do I know if my PC is at risk?.... Short answer: It is. There isn’t any concrete data yet, but speculation is that the bug affects all Intel x86 CPUs produced over the past 10 years, regardless of the OS you’re running or whether you have a desktop or laptop. There are some reports that say newer Intel CPUs are less impacted than older ones, but the full extent is unclear."

LINK to PCWorld article

LINK to Popular Mechanics article 

And also:

“AMD processors are not subject to the types of attacks that the kernel page table isolation feature protects against,” he wrote. “The AMD microarchitecture does not allow memory references, including speculative references, that access higher privileged data when running in a lesser privileged mode when that access would result in a page fault.”

Currently, I run an AMD FX-8350, and was planning on upgrading my PC this year, but was still undecided on whether to go Intel i7 or RYZEN... this certainly adds an interesting side show to my upgrade research!

Here's an informative YT summary by Scott Manley:
(he's an ugly Buggar to stare at for 12 minutes, but he's very good at disseminating information)