Sign in to follow this  
wtfovr

Ditched CPU water cooler

I had an H80i CPU water cooler on my 3-year-old i7-4790K computer.    The noise from the water cooler was considerable and since I only used it for wargaming game titles and microsoft office work, I don't think I really needed it.     I put up with the noise for 3 years since I built it.  But the noise from the CPU water cooler has always bugged me.

Finally I had enough and this past weekend, I pulled the water cooler and put on the stock intel cooler.   I'm much happier with the noise level, and for what I use the computer for the temps haven't been too bad...    I just wish I knew all this before I built it and just went air cooler all the way and saved myself the $100 for the CPU cooler.

I just noticed this and you did know there was a bunch of Corsair coolers that had very noisy pumps and they replace them free of cost. If your pump was noisy from the beginning that was probably the issue.

I've been running the same H100i GTX for over 4 years and have had no noise issues except when I put my CPU into an extreme overclock. Even then it's mostly fan noise and not the pump.

I used an H60 and now the H100i v2 and have no issues with noise from the pump.  if i turn the fans up i can definitely hear those, but i dont use corsair fans on my h100i.  overall am very happy with the noise of my system...or lack thereof

On 1/8/2018 at 8:59 AM, bigmike64w said:

I used an H60 and now the H100i v2 and have no issues with noise from the pump.  if i turn the fans up i can definitely hear those, but i dont use corsair fans on my h100i.  overall am very happy with the noise of my system...or lack thereof

If you use the standard SP120s that come with it they can be quite noisy under loads. I change to the AF 120 fans for both LED and low noise.

On 1/9/2018 at 5:39 PM, nitro_x said:

If you use the standard SP120s that come with it they can be quite noisy under loads. I change to the AF 120 fans for both LED and low noise.

i found some off branded fans on amazon that have the color i wanted.  they spin up about 1200 rpms and push enough through the radiator to keep it cool and pretty quiet as well.  hard to find sexy green led fans that are worth a damn

On 1/9/2018 at 5:39 PM, nitro_x said:

Thanks for the suggestion.   I hadnt thought about changing out the fans.  I was using the stock fans that came with the h80i. 

I guess I could get new fans and rip out the stock cooler and reinstall the h80i and give it a try.