nightstorm56

SATA drive recognized as a PATA in BIOS

Tried installing my girlfriend's hard drive in to my PC, but it wouldn't get recognized. After removal, my hard drive was no longer recognized by Windows. In BIOS, the hard drive is showing up as a PATA drive, even though it's connected up as a SATA. I've ordered an external drive case to put it in, in hopes that it will be recognized in the US format, but anyone have any other ideas I can try? I've already updated the BIOS, so that's off the list.

Hey Val, hopefully some knowledgeable dads will chime in. My first thought is it's a motherboard issue. I would probably just go external enclosure or equivalent. Is it an older PC you're just trying to get by with?

Nah, it's my main PC I built in 2013. The hard drive has all of my games, photo projects, video captures, music files, etc. on it, so it's critical that I recover it. Not 100% sure about the motherboard issue, because I took the SATA cable directly out of my SSD, which is being properly recognized, and put on the hard drive with no success.