Sign in to follow this  
ThatRandomJanitor

Smart Blu Ray?

Tired of my laptop getting used to watch Netflix when I need to be studying. Looks like Samsung and Sony are the top two dogs in the game for smart blu ray players. Any suggestions on what to look for?

When I bought mine 2 years ago, I went with Samsung. It was near the top in reviews (and also I ended up with a Samsung TV too). What I can warn you AGAINST is my model year there were no buttons on the front for open/close and play etc. There were sensors on top that when you run your finger over them it would do the open/close, play, etc. I put the thing in a cabinet where I can't see their invisible dial and it's a pain in the rear trying to find the damn buttons. We just use the remote. Very poor design, think twice if that's still how they are making them.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/audio-video/blu-ray-player-f5100/

I think its part of the new trend for zero buttons on electronic devices. Shocked my phone still has an actual button for powering, vol, etc.

Seems like none of them have buttons and is going to sensors. I'll keep it in mind.

I don't think mine even has the clock/currentinfo window on the front. Sometimes they try too hard to be different. Two years ago Samsung had a highly regarded smart blu-ray player. Not sure that translates into 2017. Scour reviews, a/v forums...  it's also possible at the end of the day that, depending on your tastes and budget, the difference between players is minimal and not worth the effort. I'm sure I can't tell the difference between 2 decent players, and I'm sure I didn't care about the difference in $5 when I made the purchase (but I try to be a little picky when it comes to stats).

Also, apps between brands overlaps pretty much, or at least it did 2 years ago. It's important though, if you have a particular app in mind (and your tv, receiver, etc doesn't have it), then you'll want to make sure your smart blu-ray players has it. My father-in-law was slightly behind the curve and none of his electronics had apps. His DVD player died, I got him a smart blu-ray for Christmas, it had apps on it and I was a hero.