Sign in to follow this  
ThatRandomJanitor

Bread

With the new house my cooking skills have expanded to save $$$$. First two loafs of bread where damn amazing but after two days it began to mold. Any suggestions for making it not mold so quick?

Depending on your bread, freezing is actually a good solution, especially breads with hearty crusts like French or sourdough. I've even frozen some fresh muffins before and they reheat up just fine. Just make sure you package it well. I generally wrap them in foil, then stick them in ziplock bags with most of the air pushed out. You don't want the bread to pickup random freezer smells. To use, just defrost and warm up in your oven.

If you just want a few extra days, then cool, dark, and dry as Talisker mentioned. In that case, don't store in plastic bags as that will trap moisture and encourage mold growth.

I froze a loaf of regular white bread a Danish baker friend of mine makes.  It freezes nicely, as long as it remains uncut.  Once even a single slice is cut off, the bread dries out in like 5 minutes.

I would love to start making my own bread seems it would save my family a ton of money with the amount of bread we eat.

Plus we all love sourdough in our house but the stuff from walmart doesn't taste right.