Sign in to follow this  
Nismo2016

Homebrewing Tips, Tricks, and Shared Secrets

Enjoy. A solid month or more of reading and researching will help a lot.

My list is a from over several years of adapting...the latest being the mill...couldn't justify a monster mill or like model...

I am looking up some of the things on your list and figuring out what else I would need to pick up.

So I was talking to my father and asked him if I could grow some plants at his house. He said "sure, as long as they are not illegal." I told him they would be hops for brewing beer the year after or longer. His response "sure plant as much as you like we can even expand the garden and put a line network over the yard to provide some shade.

SCORE!!!!!!!!!

So you know what I will be doing in the spring after the last frost.

Yes I understand they will not be produce much the first year. I am not planning to just brew beer next year. This is going to be a long term hobby with all the info I have found on it there are many ways you can go with it.

Belgian Dark Strong Ale 2013
5 gallons, AG
Target OG: 1.076 (adjust grist for your efficiency)
19 SRM, 26 IBU

GRIST
10 lbs Belgian Pils (78%)
1.5 lbs Weyermann Bohemian Dark (12%)
4 oz C-120 or Special B (2%)
2 oz Blackprinz or Debittered Black (1%)

Mash at 152F for 60 minutes.
You may need to be adjusted based on equipment, but as a baseline I’d use about 16 liters to mash, then enough 170*F sparge water to reach a preboil vol of ~6 to 6.5 gallons (24-26 liters or so). I boiled this wort for 60 minutes, but longer (90 min) would be fine too – just adjust for bittering and boiloff.

HOPS AND OTHER FERMENTABLES
1 oz First Gold (8.6% aa, whole) at 60 min to 26 IBU
0.5 lbs D180 candi syrup (end of boil)
0.5 lbs Brun Foncee soft candi sugar (end of boil)

Pitch Wyeast 3822 Belgian Strong Dark Ale. If not available, ferment with Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity or Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes.

Partial mash version: Mash 1 lb Belgian Pils, 1.5 lbs Bohemian Dark, 4 oz C-120, 2 oz Blackprinz. Add 7.5 lbs Pilsen LME to boil and increase bittering hops to 1.25 oz.

This is very interesting to me. We don't have many beers similar to this in my area.

I love Belgian beer. but more so Belgian Pales and dryer Triples.  Occasionally I like dubbels and strong darks for winter time sipping. With that style its about the yeast and very warm ferments.

Speaking Fermenting.  Have you read up on fermentation temps?

As for growing hops:  I get a bine once on my deck in a keg tub. Worked, but nothing usable. We are looking to move in the next year or so. So I am looking forward to a yard and will be putting up a trellis or two first spring.   Hops love the sun and need lots of water. Deer will eat the leaves and bugs like them..  However never ever let a dog eat the cones...could be deadly.  Beer is okay for dogs, but raw hops are poison.

Sadly I had to put all my brewing plans on hold due to working 50+ hours a week plus a 45m drive each way. Hopefully work will "slowdown" a bit and I will then be able to start building my setup. Plus the area in the basement that was going to be my brew area is now going to be a "training" area for myself and the kids due to a very fast growing interest in MMA and jiu jitsu.