Sign in to follow this  
HarpoMarxist

Annoying prompt

Question

So I keep having this annoying come up every time I go to a new page of the site/forums:

post-30379-0-07133300-1501651168_thumb.jpg

I know that it obviously isn't legit so all I'm doing is cancelling it. The question is, is anyone else getting it or just me (aka I need to run some anti-malware)?

6 answers to this question

Never seen it before. I'd be running a scan looking for adware or malware and check to see if anything installed itself in your programs.

There are lots of threads and forums about this topic. It appears to happen more on certain web browsers. By the sounds of it, Chrome seems to be the least affected.

Some info below:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=virteq.com+is+requesting+your+password&rlz=1C1GGRV_enCA756CA756&oq=virteq.com+is+requesting+your+password&aqs=chrome..69i57.10535j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

If you don't have an internet security program, be careful on what one you choose to download and install. There are many out there that advertise that they fix the problem, but actually are adware or malware themselves. Do your research. Many articles are written to look like instructions to fix problems with their own link to adware/malware.

Stick to reviews on free software from trusted sites like Cnet or PC Mag.

Personally, I've used BitDefender for the last 5 years and it has been amazing.

Yeah I was about to head to bed when I posted about it so I didn't do anything last night. The odd thing about it is that this site is the only place where I'm getting that prompt. I also just ran CCleaner and still getting it... so on to the AV now...yay...

Harpo: it's likely an issue between you and this website. A search in this forum for virteq show's it's come up before. The answer may be the forum "skin" you are using? Try using a different one.

Here's the link to the "answer":

http://dadshideout.com/IPS/index.php?/topic/17962-virteq/?p=242543

Thanks, Mykk! That did it. I was using the skin that the thread you linked to was about.Guess that shows how much I've visited the site lately :( . I scanned my computer for no reason. Then again, it's been far too long since I initiated any scans myself, so maybe it was just the kick in the rear that I needed. lol