Sign in to follow this  
wtfovr

Pensacola or Mahan

Finally unlocked and researched my first Tier 7 ships - Pensacola and Mahan  (I guess that was redundant), but only enough cash to get one for now...

TBH I'm not looking forward to Pensacola after playing Cleveland.

So if you had to choose between these two, which one and why?   I do tend to like the Cleveland / Atlanta HE-spam style of play - is that called gunboat?. but I do understand that Pensacola isn't played that way.

I haven't been too successful with Farragut, but do better in Clemson.

I myself am at the Farragut, not sure I like it; weaker than the Nicholas, as far as the Pcola, hated it at first, never show any side of your ship to anyone, not even DDs.

use islands(fire over them) and stay at max gun range, toward the end of the Pcola grind I was liking it. The US 203mm ap rounds can really mess up cruisers, and ap into the superstructure of BBs does a lot of damage when they are broadside to you. I hope that helps. I'm now grinding through the new Orleans, and I like it so far.

Pensa is a completely different play style.  I call it ambush and pursuit - catch an enemy cruiser on the broadside and hammer him, if he runs, switch to HE, point your bow and destroy.  Good gun accuracy and velocity compared to Cleave, and theUS cruisers got firing speed boosts; basically, manuver until you get good shots- US AP does great at penning things.  You can pen battleships at or below tier for citadels!

Mahan is a gunboat (use guns almost exclusively) with some crappy torps.  The Benson is decent, but the Fletcher is my favorite boat in the game.  

I'm getting the Pensacola during the sale that's coming up. Will be my first tier 7 as well. Curious to know which one you go with.

I always liked the Pensacola even when everyone said it was bad. That being said, with it having been buff I can only say I feel it would be better now. The Mahan was not a favorite of mine. It was OK just I felt like it was a long grind to get out of it.

I'm getting the Pensacola during the sale that's coming up. Will be my first tier 7 as well. Curious to know which one you go with.

Like you I'm waiting for the upcoming US sale in a few weeks... as much as I prefer playing destroyers, I'm 90% sure I'm going to go with Pensacola. I've already built up about 80,000 XP on Cleveland to free XP the modules on Pensacola (and Mahan when I finally get that ship whenever that will be)

But I'm probably going to stick with mid tier 4-5-6 as that's where I'm somewhat effective and not a total potato/tomato like I would be say at tier 8 where I'm just someone's playtoy to farm damage off me.

Finally got my highest skilled commander to 15 points - Steven Segal - he's currently my Cleveland/Atlanta captain. I'd like to get him to 19 points so I can start training up my other captains.

I think I'm going to go up the cruiser line to Des Moines. It seems as of late they're making it hard to play destroyers - which I really like to play.

Hapa gave me the best advice on the Pense... run it as a fire boat.  Set it up to set fires and run HE unless you can get an AP broadside into someone.  I hated that boat till I respec'd it for fire starting.  With the ROF buff, it should be even better.  Maybe run the IFHE with it and use flags to offset the fire setting penalty and you could score some hits that get you some good non fire HE damage.   The NO after it though doesn't seem as reliable for fire starting, so you'd have to reset your play style for that boat.  

I passed a lot of the fire starting missions with my Pense when I was grinding it... almost as reliable as the Atlanta for it... yeah, you didn't get as many hits, but your chance to start fires seemed a lot better with those 8 inch shells.  

The American DD line has been "meh" for me.  Really grinding it only to get the Fletcher due to all the great feedback I hear about it.  I like the Jap torp boat DD mentality better.  

Fair warning though, if your end goal is the Des Moines, the Baltimore grind has almost made me quit the whole damn line.........   Didn't mind the Pense or New Orleans.... but the Baltimore is so hit or miss with good games (more miss than hit for me) that it's grind has been one of the worst.  

I've been thinking about buying the Pensa. It's been unlocked for a while now so I could probably unlock most of the modules in it right away. Don't remember being all that impressed with it in beta but the recent buffs look promising. And I'm used to hiding in a thin skinned cruiser after driving the fire breathing Mogami for so long!

The Mahan is my favorite DD before the Fletcher. Once you unlock concealment expert on the Capt life in this DD becomes easier. 6.9 km detection range seems to be a lot easier to work with than the 7+ it is before that. ymmv :)

Finally played my Pensacola tonight. Got a win with a 50K damage game. It has a brand new captain in it (3 skill), but did great. Like the US cruiser line so far.