Toggle shoutbox Dads Shout

Sixman_Up : (13 August 2017 - 07:28 AM)

Welcome to DHO florida4711

YahMann : (14 August 2017 - 10:24 AM)

Calling all callers. Open mike is on for tonight. Tier 6. 6:30pm pst.

Jester39 : (15 August 2017 - 09:20 PM)

test

gpc_4 : (15 August 2017 - 10:46 PM)

test

Sixman_Up : (16 August 2017 - 05:10 AM)

Test SAT

NeoGP : (16 August 2017 - 03:14 PM)

test

Jester39 : (16 August 2017 - 05:41 PM)

test

Argnt Bstrd Ale : (16 August 2017 - 06:06 PM)

test?

xJediDadx : (17 August 2017 - 09:44 AM)

test

SGrant7 : (17 August 2017 - 12:44 PM)

Posted Image

Grimm65 : (17 August 2017 - 03:39 PM)

the question now is - did the test pass or fail!!!

Jester39 : (17 August 2017 - 04:47 PM)

fail..where is everyone...

Argnt Bstrd Ale : (17 August 2017 - 05:14 PM)

Testing of course!

rewguy79 : (17 August 2017 - 07:04 PM)

What was the test for?

joey791 : (17 August 2017 - 08:57 PM)

Welcome to the forums Babbaganouj :)

Babbaganouj : (17 August 2017 - 09:18 PM)

Woooo~ I have finally found my people haha!

gpc_4 : (18 August 2017 - 12:31 AM)

welcome, sir.

serf : (18 August 2017 - 12:35 PM)

por que

joey791 : (19 August 2017 - 12:26 AM)

Welcome to the forums TylerNible :)

Ayleward2 : (19 August 2017 - 06:02 PM)

Anyone want in for fantasy football? Draft tonight at 8PM EST.

Photo

WIFI Range

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ThatRandomJanitor

ThatRandomJanitor

Assassin

• Assassin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • Real first name:Trent

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:40 PM

With the new house I've noticed that upstairs in the bedroom I'll get ONE LESS BAR. Not a big deal but it makes everything super slow. What are some good budget friendly ways to fix this?

"Follow your dreams you can reach them I am proof.Beefcake beefcake!"
-Eric Cartman (South Park)

https://www.facebook...ng&z=1563304855

#2 Wolfey

Wolfey

McN00bin'

• McN00bin'
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Real first name:Scott
  • WoT ID:Wolfey08

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:26 PM

just grab a wi fi extender or booster....

#3 ThatRandomJanitor

ThatRandomJanitor

Assassin

• Assassin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:55 PM

I don't know squat about boosters or extenders. Any suggestions? Pros and cons of each?

#4 serf

serf

grand-master frash

• Commander
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Real first name:steve
  • Xbox:eneet
  • Steam:eneet

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:30 AM

I don't know squat about boosters or extenders. Any suggestions? Pros and cons of each?

one less bar shouldn't cause that sort of problem.One thing that can kill a wireless signal though is another device (like a baby monitor) sitting on the same frequency (2.4Ghz).If your router and devices are capable of 5Ghz that would be your best bet, but not always possible.Range extenders aren't terrible. Heres one on sale today for a little over 11 bucks at amazon ( https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B01N8ROH7G/).I had a friend with a video baby monitor destroying his wifi so he setup powerline networking for use upstairs with great success.A starter kit should run 30-50 bucks.

4339284550.png

49778236422.png

#5 xJediDadx

xJediDadx

MTFBWY

• Administrators
  • 5,350 posts
  • Real first name:Chris
  • PSN:xJediDadx
  • Steam:xjedidadx

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:45 AM

I have all of my devices in the house on the 5Ghz channel cause everyone and their mother around us is on the 2.4Ghz channel

WiFi extenders are good too. I use to use one for the back of my house, but when I got a better router, it was no longer needed.  The extenders are meant to be used just at the edge of your routers signal to give you the extra coverage that you need around your house.

As far as range goes, most basic WiFi routers have a range of about 20-25 ft for a really strong signal.  Walls and stuff in your house will affect that range some but not much.  The more expensive your router gets, the faster speeds and better coverage you'll have without needing an extender/booster 

1095437.png

"Silence is golden, Duct Tape is silver. Take your pick"

"Evil will always triumph because Good is Dumb"

Daddy of Twinz!

DHO Discord ~ https://discord.me/dho

Users Awards

#6 Juggernaut41

Juggernaut41

Pack Leader

• Pack Leader
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Real first name:Art
  • WoT ID:juggernaut41

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:50 AM

I've monkeyed around with all manner of extenders and boosters... never really had much luck... dropouts... not really extending, etc. IMHO your best bet is to spend a little extra dough on a better router AND/OR see if you can reposition the router to a more centrally located position or at least one that has fewer barriers in the way to reach upstairs (if possible).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

signature.png

#7 ThatRandomJanitor

ThatRandomJanitor

Assassin

• Assassin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:23 AM

Debating on running new wire to remove the cluster (censored) of old outdated wire in the basement for phone line. Right from box into the living area in rear of house, potential $10 fix. Baby monitor is right in the other room. Gonna call ISP and see about switching over the signal.

#8 wtfovr

wtfovr

Commander

• Commander
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Real first name:Steve
  • WoT ID:wtfovr

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:21 AM

Where is your router?  

Personally, I feel it's better to run wire to each level of your house, and have an access point at each level.  5GHz is better as it's shorter range, but there's more channels to choose from and less mutual interference.  Other folks are probably using 5GHz too, but since it doesn't propogate as far as 2.4GHz, you don't interfere with your neighbors...  

2.4Ghz needs to be set up on channels 1, 6, and 11. Any other channels used (by anyone else, i.e. neighbors) just mutually interfere with one another.

One thing to investigate is what channel you're using (if you're running 2.4GHz)  and to see if there is a neighbor using the same channel as you are using.  basically, you and your neighbor's wifi is shouting at your device has a hard time hearing your router if it's at the outer perimeter of your wifi coverage. But getting a better router (i.e. louder bullhorn) increases the chances your device is hearing your router vs hearing your neighbor's wifi, but can't talk because it's speaking a different language (due to the passcode.)

So if you see your neighbor is using 6, and other neighbor is using 11. Then you need to set your router to channel 1. Try that first as a solution without having to spend any money.... If it solves the throughput issue, then you don't need an extender.  If it doesn't, well then you can investigate the extenders or running wire.

#9 xJediDadx

xJediDadx

MTFBWY

• Administrators
  • 5,350 posts
  • Real first name:Chris
  • PSN:xJediDadx
  • Steam:xjedidadx

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:05 PM

There are plenty of phone apps to get that'll show the wifi coverage by channel.  I use WiFi Analyzer

1095437.png

"Silence is golden, Duct Tape is silver. Take your pick"

"Evil will always triumph because Good is Dumb"

Daddy of Twinz!

DHO Discord ~ https://discord.me/dho

Users Awards

#10 happyfunball

happyfunball

Assassin

• Assassin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:36 PM

I've monkeyed around with all manner of extenders and boosters... never really had much luck... dropouts... not really extending, etc. IMHO your best bet is to spend a little extra dough on a better router AND/OR see if you can reposition the router to a more centrally located position or at least one that has fewer barriers in the way to reach upstairs (if possible).

If you're going to spend money, one option is to keep your existing router and instead buy an external access point (i.e. radio and antenna). There are a couple of benefits to this: First, the radio quality is usually better than what's built into your consumer grade wifi router. Second, you don't have to relocate your router, just the AP.

For example, this is what I got, while keeping my consumer grade TP-Link N750 wifi router and disabling the radio: https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B015PRO512/. For a more budget friendly option the AC-LITE version has slightly less wifi bandwidth and no ethernet passthrough. Since the PRO version has ethernet passthrough, it didn't take up an ethernet port on my router as I just chained the existing ethernet connection to the AP. The downside of the Ubiquiti is that it takes a little more work to get it up and running. It's not flip-a-switch-and-run. You don't need to be an IT professional, but having at least a little knowledge of networking would help a lot to get through the configuration.

For comparison, I have lots of walls in my small home. With the TP-Link, my daughter's room at the far corner of the house would get about 1 bar, while I would get 1.5 or so in the master bedroom. The signal on the front porch and backyard would be spotty at best. With the UAP-AC-PRO, I have solid max bars everywhere in the house and 2 or more bars in the front porch and backyard. Quite useful when I want to watch some netflix while sipping on some beers and yelling at the neighborhood kids to get off my lawn. :lol

signature.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users