Sign in to follow this  
Cpl_Maida

Thoughts on Ranked Battles

Wait now I'm confused. Is ranked battles not the 30v30 thing? With the bigger maps?

Or is this something else? I wanted to try it out last night but couldn't figure out what the deal was with ceasefires and calendars. I mean that's the time I have to log on and play, if its not going on then that's it for me.

These are 15v15 battles with the same maps you have in pubbies. The 30v30 thing is still in testing I believe.

You know that you get more xp from shooting something up close <100m than splitting half with your spotter? WN8 padding doesn't apply. Sniping meta only works if you have spotters and play to win.

Played once and just like that other mode, mods get all wonky. Icons reversed on opposing team list. I had some weird pop up from a mouseover frozen near center of my screen.

Yeah, I had reversed icons as well... also, maybe this has already been said elsewhere, but it didn't seem like there was any MM balancing other than number of stars? Had some funky comps last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I had reversed icons as well... also, maybe this has already been said elsewhere, but it didn't seem like there was any MM balancing other than number of stars? Had some funky comps last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What time did you play? 

The matches I was in had great comps!

It was consistently balanced: 5-6 Heavies, 5-6 Meds, a couple/few TDs and an occasional Arty. (in my 6 battles I didn't see a single Light tank)

Also of note, my Rank 2 battles did have Rank 3 players in them (just 2 per side). 

What time did you play? 

The matches I was in had great comps!

It was consistently balanced: 5-6 Heavies, 5-6 Meds, a couple/few TDs and an occasional Arty. (in my 6 battles I didn't see a single Light tank)

Also of note, my Rank 2 battles did have Rank 3 players in them (just 2 per side).

I saw odd comps as well like 8 meds vs 3 on Malinovka. That one ended with 6 of our meds capping while 4 of their heavies where still up on hill. Kind of cool to see a bunch of map aware players flex through field when it was weak, clear the base defense tds, and cap.

I was sitting here reading about ranked battles, and I started to wonder if Ranked Battles actually is a testing grounds for introducing a skill base into random matchmaking in the future.  I'm seriously struggling with what I think will be population issues for the mode, and I don't think I'm the only one who thinks that way.  So what other reason to introduce a mode that is widely argued by many in the community as a bad idea?  It seems that they would need more than one benefit to justify the development.  Just a thought.  No tin foil. 

Something that doesn't work in NA due to population might work fine in Russia, so there's that.

I don't believe they have any intention of skill-based MM, and in a way I hope Ranked Battles is the lesson those who thought it was a good idea needed.

However, I like the concept of Ranked Battles because now you get the best of both worlds. Think skill-based MM is a short-sighted pipe dream that will just end up making everyone be 50% and miserable? Hit Random. Like the idea of moving up a skill-based ladder? Get a Tier 10 tank and have at it in Ranked.

It's too early to complain about the mode really. The Bonds sounds a little pay-ish-to-win, but we'll see.

I don't think its the opposition to ranked battles per say so much as opposition to buying iEquipment with bonds that has pubbies in an uproar.

I am so-so on the ranked battles.  I went up to 2 stars then dropped back by the time I got my 10 battles in. 

I did eventually focus on certain types of tanks to play.  I'm not sure if these are just ones I play well or ones that were more durable and could carry a battle.  Mainly Russian meds, 121/113, and STB.  I did hammer folks with the Bat arty for a nice win.

Some of the battles seemed to be more like a CW with no voice comms, meaning somewhat coordinated play with aggressive pushes for a decisive win.  Other times it seemed we were on the receiving end of a beat down.