Sign in to follow this  
Vikinger

Arty N00B needs advice.

Artillery - Which Nation to Choose?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which Nation for Arty, post 9.18? (you can select more than one)

• USA
    • Russia
    • Germany
    • UK
    • France
    • The only good arty is a dead arty.

with the patch came a significant reload buff... given that damage isn't really what arty is supposed to do now the faster firing arty will get those missions knocked off pretty well. 

I'm actually enjoying the french grind although like anything else playing stock sucks... 2 words... 1) free and 2) XP.

Which French arty are you on Dad? I'm on the tier VIII and quite like it.

Which French arty are you on Dad? I'm on the tier VIII and quite like it.

the VII... the speed helps a lot... I think it does 60 so I try to stay with the main fight instead of redlining. its reload is relatively good and would be better if they didn't reconfig crew from tier 6 to 7 (so no BIA).

OK, I'm semi-necro'ing this thread because I've gone from loving Tier 7 USA arty to despising Tier 8 USA arty, and I need to vent... 

Tier 7, M12 seemed really great to me. I hadn't played arty in years, but I was digging it again with the M12.

Sure, it has limited gun traverse, but with 100% crew the aim time, accuracy and RoF were acceptable to reengage targets and get solid hits. 

The gun seemed to land towards the center of the aim circle routinely, and although not a big damage dealer, I felt like I was 'in control'. 

Now I've unlocked the Tier 8, M40/M43 and I'm struggling.

I have a 100% crew in it also (moved the M12 guys up), and I've played 20 battles. 

The GUN HANDLING IS INFURIATING! 

50% of the time the shell lands at the edge of the aiming circle, for a fully aimed shot.... How is this possible?!?!?

M12 had 0.64 dispersion, M40/43 has 0.74 (0.71 if I run Cola), and the thing completely misses half the time.

Does WoT calculate accuracy on a logarithmic scale?

Is 0.74 90% worse than 0.64?

The M40/43 takes 40 seconds to reload and then there's a 50% chance to completely miss............. this isn't fun!  :doh

I think I'm switching to the French. 

53 55 is still the promised land tho.  Probably still has the best combination of characterstics. 

I enjoyed the French line and was absolutely in love with the BC 55 58 at Tier X before the nerf.  I have since fallen out of love with it and am considering a legal separation

Arty in its current form is meh

Does WoT calculate accuracy on a logarithmic scale?

Is 0.74 90% worse than 0.64?

I believe that the shots have a even distribution in the aim circle. They made that change a few years ago.

.74 & .64 are describing the diameters (or maybe radius) of a circle. So you can compare the area of the their circles...

π r² = area

3.14 * (.74 / 2.0)² = 0.429866

3.14 * (.64 / 2.0)² = 0.321536

So .64 is 1.33 times better accuracy that .74.

4803464_orig.jpg

53 55 is still the promised land tho.  Probably still has the best combination of characterstics. 

I'm not sure I can grind 200k XP for 53/55 while completely missing 50% of my fully aimed shots. 

I really only want an Arty to run missions with and was hoping to stop the grind at tier 8.

M12 just doesn't get enough high tier MM to make the T-55a missions achievable; there's just not enough HP on the battle field...

I believe that the shots have a even distribution in the aim circle. They made that change a few years ago.

.74 & .64 are describing the diameters (or maybe radius) of a circle. So you can compare the area of the their circles...

So .64 is 1.33 times better accuracy that .74.

Yes, Log is the wrong term...

... and I can buy into the 'greater area' part, but there's no way it has an even distribution... the associated RNG probability curve for 40/43 is broken:

OGYbo2A.jpg

Edit for full disclosure: This graph is homemade, it is not actually what WoT is doing, I'm just being pissy and am making stuff up.

OGYbo2A.jpg

Edit for full disclosure: This graph is homemade, it is not actually what WoT is doing, I'm just being pissy and am making stuff up.

Sure feels like your graph is accurate. So, who wants to go to a training map and shoot a couple thousand shots to get the data?

I'm not sure I can grind 200k XP for 53/55 while completely missing 50% of my fully aimed shots. 

I really only want an Arty to run missions with and was hoping to stop the grind at tier 8.

I did 3 full sets of arty missions using the US line (tiers 6-9). For reference it took me from tier 6 to 9.5 before I finished all 3 sets.

Also in tier 9 you play against a lot more arty aware people than in tier 8. Same for tier 7 vs 8. Raw damage/stun total missions are easier in higher tiers though.

This is why the internet was invented.

The aim number is the dispersion value per 100m. If you are driving a tank that has a gun with 0.5m dispersion and you fire at a tank that is exactly 100m away while fully aimed, your shot should hit within 0.5m / 1.5ft (or a1m / 3ft diameter circle) in all directions from the center of your gun reticle (up, down, left & right). If you are firing from 400m away, your shot will now hit within 2m (6.5ft) in all directions.

The higher the value for the gun dispersion, the more likely you are to miss. In the case of artillery, most shots are +500m and moving upwards of 1000m. In these cases, the number you are using with cola (0.71m) means that at 500m, your shot will hit anywhere within a circle that is 7.1m across (or almost 23ft). Double those numbers for 1000m.

Here is a small chart I threw together that shows how close to target you should expect to hit from different distances for fully aimed shots.

n5pqr4o.png

Also note: For those of you who do not have 3D sense, a tank is not that tall and the shell is not traveling from orbit top down. If you are targeting in top down mode, the miss over a tank can travel quite far especially over a slope of a hill. It would only take a rather small dispersion for 1+ meter to sail over above and down into a valley below. Shooting hull down tanks increases your chance for a miss.

Besides, the POINT of arty now is splash/stun, not direct hits. You need to aim into the middle of a group of tanks to splash them all and get xp/credits for assisted damage. You are more dependant on your team's ability to take advantage of stuns. You need a team to be competent enough to do damage, just like spotting damage missions for light tanks needs a good team of target awareness.