Sign in to follow this  
SGrant7

AMD Ryzen

And the battle between of the processors returns!

AMD Ryzen 1700, 1700X & 1800X announced and priced at $329, $399 & $499!

Just for a quick comparison:

-the 1800X is scored 9% better than the Intel i7 6900K (MSRP $1049) in Cinebench R15 nT

-the 1700X is scored 39% better than the Intel i7 6800K (MSRP $425) in Cinebench R15 nT... also the 1700X beat out the i7 6900K by 4%... 

-the 1700 is scored 46% better than the Intel i7 7700K (MSRP $350) in Cinebench R15 nT

I'm very happy with my Intel i5 6600K. But I'm glad to see that people will be able to get better performance for a much cheaper price again going forward. I foresee some price discounts coming to Intel's line-up.

They go on sale March 2nd

From what I've read, these multi-threaded Cinebench tests definitely show the advantage of Ryzen with it's 16 virtual cores over Intel's 8, but the 7700k is still faster in single threaded performance. Depending on the games one plays, you can see either chip being better, but I believe most games will fair better with the 7700k for the time being with games still not all there for making use of the increased core counts.

Personally, I think I'll be taking a look at the 1700X later on this year as I like AMD cpus. I think my preference there is more about rooting for the underdog as I've used AMDs up until recently when I finally caved in to Intel, but I'm hopeful that more games will take advantage of the increased core counts coming our way.

Hopefully many more will jump on the AMD bandwagon and help keep things more competitive with Intel.

The PC I just built was the first Intel I ever used. Cost had kept me away for a long time, but AMD hadn't really anything to offer for a few years that even came close. So I finally bit the bullet and bought Intel, but even then, I tried not to spend too much.

It looks like a lot of people are about to get a really good bang for their buck with these new chips though.

I currently have AMD, which I am disappointed in AFTER the fact I found out Intel were better. With the new Ryzen stuff, I'm more than likely going to go that route the next PC I build.

So information is coming out on the new AMD Ryzen Vega & Threadripper series of GPU's & CPU's. They look like they are going to be quite impressive and give Intel a run for their money.

Threadripper is interesting for sure but they are still costing over $1K for the 1950x. I still plan to build one in the next 6 months. If now I will have to wait till next spring to see what they come out with to fight the intel monster.