Sign in to follow this  
thedakar

High Explosive Inertial Fuse - Add it to your cruiser today!

I could wax eloquently on the topic, or I could let Jingles do it - so here is Jingles to explain why you should make High Explosive Inertial Fuse a must have on most of your cruiser captains:

Question about this. If I have a German cruiser captain, would I still do this? I ask because German cruiser don't seem to be as good at setting fires. When you add this skill it decreases your chance of starting a fire. Does that matter? I'm still so new to the game I am trying to figure all of this out. Any help is appreciated.

I like it on cruiser just for that fact that you can hurt BBs where your AP would bounce and you wouldn't pen with HE. Also it is brutal to other CL/CA. Honestly, I feel it is more of a nerf to the RN CLs if anything as they just get hosed no matter what now.

As for the reduced fire chance, yes it is still worth it. What you lose in fire damage you will gain in normal HE pens on almost any ship at any angle.

Question about this. If I have a German cruiser captain, would I still do this? I ask because German cruiser don't seem to be as good at setting fires. When you add this skill it decreases your chance of starting a fire. Does that matter? I'm still so new to the game I am trying to figure all of this out. Any help is appreciated.

The point is not to set a fire, but to pen BB armor.

Normal AP shells at certain angles bounce, like in tanks.

HE before IFHE would never pen, only cause superficial superstructure damage. Or start fires. the main damage vector of cruisers was to start fires and burn battleships down.

But with IFHE, 152mm (light cruiser guns) can now pen the 25mm battleship armor and HE doesn't bounce no matter what angle. So when battleships were angling against other battleships and cruisers, AP shells would just bounce and little to no damage is done against the battleship, but with IFHE it doesn't matter what angle the battleship is doing, HE now pens and does substantial damage. And if the reduced chance for fire sets a fire that fire is extra bonus damage.

Do not forget that the rule of "use AP when enemy is broadside, HE for anything else" is now MORE important.  AP when used on a broadside enemy still produces more damage then HE in any case.  
Case in point, I was platooning a few days ago and pushed up the middle on the "twin peaks" map (two brothers is the actual name) in my Cleveland.  An enemy Pensacola turned to engage me bow on.  While he was bow on I used HE, when he (for some unknown reason, in defiance of all logic) turned and showed me his broadside, I switched to AP and proceeded to land 10 citadel hits in next 4 salvos.  A full health Pensacola to sinking ship in under a minute.  If I had used only HE the entire time it would have taken far longer and he may have killed me.

Instead I only took 8 k damage and watched him rage.  

Good times.

I like it on cruiser just for that fact that you can hurt BBs where your AP would bounce and you wouldn't pen with HE. Also it is brutal to other CL/CA. Honestly, I feel it is more of a nerf to the RN CLs if anything as they just get hosed no matter what now.

As for the reduced fire chance, yes it is still worth it. What you lose in fire damage you will gain in normal HE pens on almost any ship at any angle.

You can also combo it with the tier 3 skill of increased fire chance, which leaves you only about -1% chance to cause fires.  Combine that with a few flags and you can still come out in the positive toward chance to cause fire.   I run cruisers with that captain skill combo, the 2 flags to increase fire chance risk, and the one flag to eliminate magazine detonations (the one flag has an increased chance to detonate your magazine).   In any HE situation, I still see the same number of fires... in fact in my 8 inch cruisers, I think I see more fires and damage this way than prior to the patch with the inertia fuses.  

Good point, Dewey. As a noob though, my best captain is a 10pt Molotov captain from the Santa Event. He will for sure get both then :)

Good point, Dewey. As a noob though, my best captain is a 10pt Molotov captain from the Santa Event. He will for sure get both then :)

Yep, all you need is 9 points.  With the new captain skill set, if you run a captain from tier 1 to tier 5 and don't free XP through a ship, I think you can hit 9 points by tier 5 or 6 (my math may be off though).  Quicker if you use prem. ships to increase your captain XP quicker....  oh, but that's as long as you spend the gold to fully retrain a captain when you switch them from one ship to the next.  

Yep, all you need is 9 points.  With the new captain skill set, if you run a captain from tier 1 to tier 5 and don't free XP through a ship, I think you can hit 9 points by tier 5 or 6 (my math may be off though).  Quicker if you use prem. ships to increase your captain XP quicker....  oh, but that's as long as you spend the gold to fully retrain a captain when you switch them from one ship to the next.  

Yeah, unfortunately I had already picked up radio location for his 4th tier skill :( I am about to get there with my German cruiser captain though.