Sign in to follow this  
CrazyDaze

Nintendo Switch anyone?

I like the idea and am looking forward to seeing actual specs in the coming months; Battery life, storage options, and of course price. I'm also curious, as this is meant to be a hybrid console, if they're planning on phasing out the DS line. Which would be odd considering the DS is most popular amoung children. Seeing that system with so many moving parts there's no way I'd allow a child to own one as easily as I have with a DS. Outside of that point as a parent, as a gamer I'm intriqued for sure.

When the wii u came out, I first thought it was portable like this new switch. It's the wiiu that should have been. Remains to be seen that I buy it. Probably spend over 1000$ in the past year on my kids wiiu setup. Last thing he needs is having video games at the playground anyway. As far as road trips, I can hook up his wiiu to the inverter if need be

Well I am very curious about it. I love the idea, and just want to see the execution. But that said, yeah, I already showed my wife and told her to prepare the budget because come March of next year, I want a Nintendo Switch. It's up to Nintendo to make me lose interest in the next 8 months.

Ok so Friday morning on a whim I set out to see if I could pick one up.  The kid go on the school bus and we headed out the door at about 9 am.  I know the Game Stop and Best Buy near me had midnight openings for the Switch (and they don't open till 10). So I figured we'd skip those.  So the next option I could think of was Target.  We get to Target and make a bee line for the electronics section.  I'm looking around where the consoles are and see an empty case where the Switch would be set up as well as a GIANT box for the special edition of the new Zelda game.  (The Zelda box was litererally bigger than the box for the Switch).  So we walk over the guy manning the electronics department station and he's talking to someone there already.  I catch something about having to wait a couple of weeks to get one... blah blah blah usual new console stuff.  So after they are done talking I say "so you don't have any Switchs?" And he points to a locked metal cart next to him and says he has a few.  I look at my wife and she says "If you want."  So bam I have a Switch and the Zelda special edition.

Now the decision is do we keep it or put it on ebay and try to double our money.  At this time Best Buy is just about open so we stop for breakfast and head to best buy just to see if they have any. Get a feel for how the Switch is selling. They have about 10 on the shelf.  I'm surprised.  But they don't have the special edition of Zelda.  Run over to Game Stop.  They are sold out also but have all the game, except the Zelda special edition.  We tell them Target had a bunch and Best Buy had a bunch.  As we are there the phone rings and we hear "Sorry we are sold out but we were just told Best Buy has about 10 of them."  lol

Stop at Toys R Us.  They are sold out.  But they only received 10.  We go back to Best Buy because we didn't think to check what games they had and they only a couple left.  But we also notice that there's about 4 consoles left on the shelf.  So we get home and check ebay.  One console with a bunch of bids going for about 600.  But I'm sitting here looking at the box and thinking I've never had a console the day it was released.  So I ended up opening it up and setting it up. 

The special edition of Zelda came with the game and a case to put the Switch in on the go.  A map of Hyrule and a coin.  Pretty cool stuff all in all and the case was worth the extra 20 bucks.

I'm loving Zelda.  It looks great and the game play is amazing so far.  The console does not come with any game like the Wii and Wii U.  So if you buy it thinking you'll get Wii U sports to play you will be disappointed.  I love the dock and the way the way the controllers come off the system for play on the tv or attach for the play on the go.  The controllers are small and Nintendos "odd" button arrangement have caused me more than one life.  I'm a little disappointed at the battery life (around 3 hours) but over all the Switch is pretty cool.