Sign in to follow this  
happyfunball

Sous vide, anyone?

We just bought some fancier crock pot that is digital, but has a temp probe and manual settings for temp. You think that work ok? Your results look fantastic!

As long as it can hold temperature at the range you want for meat, like 126F for medium rare. You'll probably want to check the temperature fluctuation. With my setup I still get +-2F either way. I'm not super concerned about it right now, since it's just experimentation. Eventually, if this is really going to be a regular cooking method for me, I'll invest in a sous vide device.

Sous Vide 2: The Revenge of the Pork

So, I decided to try this with a pork shoulder: 145F for 24 hours. Basic seasoning (salt, pepper, granulated garlic, clove). After 24 hours, I finished up with some wet BBQ sauce and flame seared on the grill:

IMG_20161031_204506059.jpg

IMG_20161031_204553910.jpg

Result, 2 for 2. The meat was fall apart tender. I ate twice as much as I should for dinner. :lol

I just got a Sous Vide wand for Christmas. I always reverse sear my steaks, start out on the smoker and cook to about 120 then sear them on the infra red burner on my gas grill a couple of minutes a side. 

With the Sous Vide, I can accomplish the same thing, but I can have the steaks done whenever I want. I just set the temp to 125 and let them cook for 2 to 4 hours (I like thick cuts). That way it is easy to time the finish with the other sides like Baked Potatoes. Some of the best steaks I have ever had. 

On 1/3/2018 at 10:48 AM, EasyTarget said:

Some of the best steaks I have ever had. 

:agreedsign  Sous vide has become my go-to for cooking beef and pork. Which wand did you get? I've been thinking of getting a wand so I can cook in a larger pot. My experimental setup is limited in volume.

I got the Wancle and love it. I also got the rubber maid 12 quart food storage container. They work great together. Got both off Amazon

I got a Joule Sous Vide for Christmas and am a addict now. Just bought a Searzall to brown my food. I used the Searzall last night for the first time and made Italian Sausage sandwiches with spaghetti sauce, onions and provolone cheese. I SV'd the sausage, 150 for 45 minutes. Used the Searzall to brown the sausage, toast the rolls and melt/brown the cheese. It was way too much fun. 

We got one of the blutooth wand versions on sale off Amazon after seeing a YouTube video and yeah... it's bloody amazing.

Best seafood I've ever had, and we pre-cooked some butterflied chicken breasts which were then cubed and then added to a casserole.

So far we've done salmon filets (they literally fall apart taking them out of the bag), shrimp, scallops, and chicken breast.  Best damned cooking gadget I've ever bought.