Sign in to follow this  
Lendo

Ribs Ribs Ribs

my wife boils the ribs beforehand as well....then bakes them in the oven after a good slathering of whatever BBQ sauce she picked up on sale.  

I actually cooked dinner last night, made a flank steak roll up.   caramelized some onions, green peppers and some garlic....lay out the flank, rubbed it with salt, pepper and some McCormick's Maple seasoning rub, slather the onions,etc on top, next comes fresh spinach leaves, and topped with provolone cheese...roll it up and stick toothpicks to hold....sliced and seared each side a couple minutes, then baked for 10-15 minutes......Good stuff.

my wife boils the ribs beforehand as well....then bakes them in the oven after a good slathering of whatever BBQ sauce she picked up on sale.  

I actually cooked dinner last night, made a flank steak roll up.   caramelized some onions, green peppers and some garlic....lay out the flank, rubbed it with salt, pepper and some McCormick's Maple seasoning rub, slather the onions,etc on top, next comes fresh spinach leaves, and topped with provolone cheese...roll it up and stick toothpicks to hold....sliced and seared each side a couple minutes, then baked for 10-15 minutes......Good stuff.

:worthless

For those who does not have a smoker, try this:

- Use a stainless steel turkey roaster pan (the ones with a lid)

- do up a smoke pouch, 2/3 wet chips, 1/3 dry chips, wrapped in tin foil.  The pouch needs to be really thin, it can be as large as the bottom of the pan but it needs to be thin, like 1/2 inch max.  You can use multiple small thin pouches depending on the size and shape of your roaster pan.  Poke holes on top of the pouch.  The pouch goes into the bottom of the pan.  I use the pouch method so that it is easy to clean off the roaster pan afterwards, otherwise I think you can just put the wood chip directly into the pan.

- pan and pouch into oven, no lid yet, I use high heat (450 degree) to get smoke going

- when smoke starts to come out, put the turkey rack on top of pouch and then put ribs on top of rack and then cover with lid.  My pan comes with its own rack.

- adjust to 250 degree and cook until rib get tender and smoked.  

- take pouch out when you got the right amount of smoke or put a fresh pouch in if you want more smoke.  Personally, I dont like over-smoked food so one pouch is enough for me.

WARNING:  Even with the lid on, the whole house will smell like hickory smoke for a bit.

A proper smoker is still the way to go but try the above if in a pinch.  I did the above with a small brisket once, too cold in Canada to use the smoker during the winter.  I have not try with ribs but it should work the same.  the big advantage is that you will have perfect 250 heat for hours which is hard to do with the conventional wood smokers.

Yeah, thanks for that recipe, but my wife would KILL ME if I did that inside. I need an outside oven for that. Haha.

You just need a large toaster oven for the patio. :lol

Last night I made 6 pounds of country pork ribs. Nothing fancy, just slathered on with off-the-shelf BBQ sauce. Still delicious. Sorry, no photos, I'm not a big food photo taker.

I use a Crock pot as my fail safe method now have cooked ribs in a multitude of ways , i think its about 2 years now that im using the crock pot . Simple sauce mixture of any BBQ sauce ketchup brown sugar cup of each . Lots of smoked Paprika  lots of fresh pressed garlic salt and pepper . All cooked on low for about 5 hours , bones just pull out . Always make sure bones are facing the bottom of crock pot and remove that little thin skin on the bone side it lets more flavor into the meat. I know its hard at times to remove but well worth it . and BTW guess what im having for supper Ribbbbbs     :smile2

oops don`t forget lots of basting.

I use a Crock pot as my fail safe method now have cooked ribs in a multitude of ways , i think its about 2 years now that im using the crock pot . Simple sauce mixture of any BBQ sauce ketchup brown sugar cup of each . Lots of smoked Paprika  lots of fresh pressed garlic salt and pepper . All cooked on low for about 5 hours , bones just pull out . Always make sure bones are facing the bottom of crock pot and remove that little thin skin on the bone side it lets more flavor into the meat. I know its hard at times to remove but well worth it . and BTW guess what im having for supper Ribbbbbs     :smile2

oops don`t forget lots of basting.

Pole, quick question, how much liquid in the crock?  Does the liquid cover the rib (like boiling) or do you simply coat the ribs and cook them dry?  Also, you say 5 hours, do you start them out room temp or preheat the ribs before dropping it in?  

My crock is really slow to warm up, takes about 2 hours to get up to temp with my chili if I start everything room temp, I sometimes preheat the food before dropping it in the crock to finish.  

Tried something new on a whim this weekend.  Rubbed down the ribs, took metal pan, poured some apple cider in the bottom (maybe 3/8" deep) into the pan, put the ribs in the pan and covered it in foil.  Baked at 200F for several hours, then finished on the grill with some Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet Vidalia Onion BBQ Sauce.  Everyone seemed to love them.  These were fall off the bone rather than bit off the bone, but still delicious and very moist.