Sign in to follow this  
Lendo

Ribs Ribs Ribs

So I found you fellas on WoT, but this section is why I joined. I need some recipes for Ribs. I love Ribs, but I'm getting bored of my famous Ribs and I want to try yours. If you've got a recipe for Ribs please share it along with your cooking instructions. I promise to try everything you guys post along with pics of me and my son enjoying them. Cheers. 

Ummm, how's about the recipe for your so-called "famous Ribs"? So popular they even get capitalized? Haha. I don't have a rib recipe personally. I just use a dry rub and cook'em, slow and long.

What I do is buy the "Country Style" which are big and fatty mostly boneless, Then I take a pot 1/3 full of water and 1/3 cup vinegar preferably apple cider and bring to a boil and simmer for up to an hour. Switching ribs around every 15 minutes as some will be submerged and some won't.

Then when firm and pretty much cooked thru I drain and put on the grill, its great you can simmer ahead of time and grill later, get them nicely marked and sizzli then its sweet Baby Rays Vadallia Onion BBQ Sauce very liberly on both sides grilling till sauce is nice and gooey, Then Enjoy.

You can also make your own BBQ sauce:

Kethcup

Brown Sugar

Wuestershire( Spellin..LOL)

Mustard

Vinegar

spices (whatever you want)

These ribs I find are very very tender my Adult kids love them my very young kids, well thats another story for another day!!

No joke. So you boil them in a pot first. I've just thrown them on the grill and they never turned out good. Thanks. I will have to try cooking ribs again and give this technique a try.

Make sure you don't boil in just plain water, you need to have enough flavor that it counterbalances what you'll lose to the boiling process. I used to boil my country style ribs in the same brine I soaked them in overnight (50% brine/50% water). Get it almost done, then either rub or sauce it, slap it on the open grill for some grill marks and searing on the outside.

Recently I've been using the smoker a lot for St. Louis style ribs, then trying out different rubs I find online. My kids prefer the sweeter kind with a little mustard kick, whereas I prefer the spicier mix. So the kids win. :lol

Next time I'm going to try a sous vide setup. Unfortunately for my DIY sous vide (see my other thread) I don't have a large enough crockpot for a whole rack. I may cut them up in smaller pieces and put try it out.

I may be one of the few who does not boil them, I cook them in my smoker low and slow for about 4 hours.  Just dry rub (salt, pepper, papprika, garlic, more garlic, onion power, oregano, then more garlic).  Smoke for 3-4 hours, i gauge it by color.  mob with my mobbing liquid, chicken stock plus apple juice.  Once the right color is reached, I wrap in foil and drop them in the oven at 250 with some liquid until it is time to eat.  The oven is low enough that timing is not that relevant.  I use a wood smoker so it is hard to be exact with heat and smoke.  Right before eating I do a quick sear on the gas grill, high heat and good to go.  

I am wierd that I am not a bbq sauce fan, my ribs then to be dry with bbq sauce on the side for dipping for the guests who like sauce.  last time, i actually served it with a homemade teriyaki style japanese bbq sauce and it was a hit.

No joke. So you boil them in a pot first. I've just thrown them on the grill and they never turned out good. Thanks. I will have to try cooking ribs again and give this technique a try.

They key is only 1/3 full with water and the vinegar a 1/3 of cup or more, the vinegar actually breaks down the meat and tenderizes it, its great quick way to make great Country Style ribs, NOW a smoker is the best way to go but dont have one.

I boil my ribs too before they go on the grill. However, I've only used plain water, so I'll need to try the vinegar next time. Even with the plain water, the wife still likes them, and that's the only opinion I care about. (If mama ain't happy, nobody happy)

Also, I skim off the brown stuff as they boil. I read that on some food blog or something. I guess it works. Anyone else do that or even hear about it?

I only boil them though for about 30 minutes then 20-30 on the grill. Usually it's a rush dinner after work, so I don't have time for prep or long cooks. 

If I think about it, I'll put them in a crock pot for 8-10 hours (I don't have a smoker- but Christmas is coming, right?) If I can swing it, I cook them plain for the first 6 hours. I'll then drain them and cover with sauce for the rest of the time.

I usually use St. Louis or Baby Back, whichever is on sale. I'll have to look for the Country style next time. 

Oh and if it is raining or snowing or if you run out of gas, or whatever, you can bake the ribs instead of grilling. I've done that before and they still turned out alright. 

Another thing is to remove the thin membrane on the underside. Again, something I've read about, but don't know about it's importance or difference making as I've done it both ways and don't see any difference.

So that's how I do it. Nothing fancy usually. 

Also, I skim off the brown stuff as they boil. I read that on some food blog or something. I guess it works. Anyone else do that or even hear about it?

Yep, mostly because you don't want them to stick onto the meat when you pull them out. It's just loose protein guck. Think pond scum. :lol

Oh and if it is raining or snowing or if you run out of gas, or whatever, you can bake the ribs instead of grilling. I've done that before and they still turned out alright. 

Part of smoking is imparting the smoke flavor. But the other part is the slow cooking at 225F or so, which breaks down the connective tissues over time. You can do the slow cooking part in an oven if you have to, and it works just fine. Follow the same steps as you would smoking: mop regularly, wrap in foil for last hour, etc., and it'll come out just as tender. I've had someone suggest cracking the oven door a bit with a wooden spoon so you let the moisture escape, though I've never had the occasion to test that out. You won't get the smoke rings (though I read somewhere you can fake it with curing salt and liquid smoke), but it'll do for those of you not living in a state where it's sunny and 72F all year round. : :duckhunt

Edit: how to fake a smoke ring: http://barbecuetricks.com/smoke-rings-and-hacking-bbq/