Sign in to follow this  
Aftrthought051

Kilgore Dad in the Spotlight: June 4th - 8th

Alright all you wahoo's, let's welcome kilgore as the latest member to offer himself up for sacrifice.  He's made his way up to the spotlight and now it's time to find out all about who he is, where he comes from, and what's made him who he is today.

Monday-Tell us about yourself and how you found us

Tuesday-Tell us about your family

Wednesday-Tell us about all your job and your hobbies

Thursday-Tell us about where you have been and where you want to go

Friday-Other dads from the site question the dad in the spotlight, ask them a question and they answer it(within reason)

To tell you about myself might take awhile. Here are the highlights.

My name is Joseph and am currently 28. I am an ares and enjoy long walks with heated discussions. You can join in if you clear it with my wife and can figure out my phone number :lmao2 I used to be a high school and intramural athlete but still enjoy watching college sports and my favorite teams in the pro arenas.

I was raised as an army brat and spent first 4 years of my life over in Germany. I am not fluent in German but will still dream in it occasionally which makes for soem really weird recall when I wake up. When we were done with Germany, my dad went to jump school down in Ft benning in Georgia and then was stationed at Ft Campbell in KY (Clarksville TN) till he took the early retirement with the Clinton cutbacks after Desert Storm.

My dad's job continued to be the predominant factor as to where we lived and after he got out of the army, he went to work for the Boy Scouts as a District Executive and we moved to Selmer TN. Also known as the back end of nowhere. He ended up quitting that after about 5 years and became a restaraunt manager which meant we moved to Memphis. Stayed here since then (well general area) and in the 14 years I have been in the Memphis area, have lived in 7 different houses. Wanderlust is my guide.

I went to Univ. of memphis for undergraduate work in history and have had so many jobs since I started college I still do not know what I am going to be doing. I have been a caterer, delivery driver, warehouse manager, barista, insurance sales, B2B sales, lawn maintenance, restaraunt worker, retail, mail guru, printing production manager, outside sales, and my latest is claims processor for Blue Cross Blue Shield.

I am married to my wonderful wife Kathryn and we have a beautiful son (he's won cutest baby contests already) and we have a great life together but I will get more into how wonderful she is tomorrow with the family portion.

I found the hideout while at work actually. We have very stringent firewall and so much of the internet is blocked at work and I was searching for guides on WoT and you guys happened to pop up and were not blocked. Started perusing the forums and decided to join up. Probably pretty much like everyone else in that regard.

Think that's it for about me, it's hard not to add things in that go on the other days.

Guest Renovatio 42

Great write-up, Kilgore! Looking forward to the rest of the week.

Guest IrmoTanker

Welcome! I was at Ft Campbell during that same time. What Unit was your Dad in?

Can I git musterd fer my biskit?

Great intro Joseph! It's amazing how many places you've lived in your life. Do you think that has affected you as an adult? I can see you've taken the nomad persona with your jobs. :lol

Awesome write up.  That is a lot of moving around.  That sucks though, usually you move around a lot because you are in the service.  Your dad got out of the Army and you guys seemed to move around even more.  That sure is an impressive list of jobs too.  I know, "jack of all trades, master of none", but you get to experience a lot of different things.  I'm glad you found the Hideout and I hope you are having fun with the other dads in WoT.

Commander - He was with the 101st in G3. Not Sure which battalion he was in but could find out. When we were in Germany he was the the 2nd of the 187th mech infantry.

Fergy - Probably has affected me. I cannot get comfortable in a job and the best one I had (pay wise) was working as a lab tech for an engineering firm. Was pulling in $14 and hour starting out doing lab work that was a breeze. But of course once school started back up I told myself I couldn't take the night classes to stay with that job. Sucks for me.

As for being jack of all trades, yeah I kind of get that from my dad. I can write, read, build a shed, replace a roof, change my oil, build a computer, cook a meal, clean a house, run a copier/print press, make printing plates, design a website, sell you soemthing you don't need, or probably pass the bar exam without studying (have passed the practice tests in the prep books just picking the book up). I just need to find something that I really like to do that will pay somethign worh a damn.

Today is family and to start that off I need to begin with my beautiful wife Kathryn. Seriously a knockout and I will try and post a picture when I get home and am on my home computer. We knew each other back in high school being part of a lot of the same clubs/activities but where she was part of the popular crowd, I was kind of a nerd. Got along with lots of different groups, jocks, band, nerds, stoners, partiers, normal people, I wasn't really in the upper echelon of the popular people whereas she was. Anyway fast forward about 8-9 years and I start a poke war with her on facebook. (she won incidentally) I had seen where she had had some relationship problems with her current boyfriend and she was posting about how she had all weekend off but nobody to do anything with. Knowing she was pregnant and might be feeling really down and lonely sitting at an apartment all weekend, I asked her to movies and dinner to catch up on old times. It wasn't a date. We both knew it wasn't a date. However, at some point during dinner (which we got free because there was glass in her dessert) we realized how much fun we were having and decided to see another movie. incidentally She's out of League is much better for a date movie than Remember Me. Had a lot of fun and called it a night. The next day she was fishing on facebook for another movie partner ( this time we saw Alice in Wonderland) and from there it was a hit. We started talking every day and i would take her lunch on my lunch breaks. I eventually moved in and we had our son about 6 months after we started dating. We got married last Octobor and the past 8 months have been roguh at tiems but still the best of my life.

That brings me to our son Walt. He is the most mischievous 20 month old i have ever seen and I have seen a bunch having kept a nursery and part of a Catholic family. he is the perfect little Aryan child with blonde hair and eyes as blue as the sky after a rainstorm and all the clouds have cleared off. He loves Elmo and can name every character on Sesame Street. He can also sing about 10 songs now start to finish on his own and he loves to perform then. He is a riot and if i could ever get him on a sleep schedule to sleep all night i would be golden.

My parents live about a half mile from us and you have already read of my dad's wanderlust and job hopping. My mother complains about that a lot, but she is just as guilty changing jobs every 6-10 years as well. They are great though and while my mother can teach doctorate courses in passive-aggressiveness, they both really care and try and help out as much as possible. They are great grandparents. My dad is catholic and is one of 8 siblings. My mother is 1 of 4 so needless to say I have a huge extended family.

However, none of them compare to my sister who lives in San Antonio. She is working on her doctorate in Nursing Education and is the hardest worker i know. She practically raised me when I was younger since both my parents worked so much. She was taken severe advantage of while a teenager, (27 year old when she was 14), and had my nephew. He turns 18 this year andthe fact that he is almost legally an adult makes me feel old.

I had never had brothers, my sister and I were it, but my best friend might as well be with everything we have gone through since we became friends way back in high school. Pregnancy scares, mvoes, marriages, despondency, anything and everything that encompasses life and we can probably say we have done it. My wife had two brothers, however both of them have passed. Her baby brother ( not really abby he was my age and just a year younger than my wife) was killed 1 month before our son was born in a motorcycle wreck. Talk about a rough patch with her brother passing, having a baby, and then 2 months later her older brother ended up committing suicide do to mental illness. The holidays that year were not really that fun and was a lot of anguish.

Well, I kind of rambled on there at the end but that's my family. I love them all and wouldn't trade any of them for anyone.

That sure is a big family.  Your son sounds like a real trip.  Funny how things work out with you hooking up with your wife and all. 

It's HUMP Day!  :woot

I guess that means you guys want to know about my job and hobbies. As mentioned previously I am a jack-of-all trades. That doesn't mean, however, that I am master of none. While doing all of the various jobs I have done, I think the only one I really was not the best in the office at was when I sold insurance on a debit route. I had a certain section of our fair city that caters to lower class poverty level clients and most of my job was going around collecting their premiums every month. I had this job back in 2007 when the economy first really started to tank and trying to grow my debit and get premiums from existing clents was tough.

But on the good side, I have resolved to not do sales again. I just do not like commission based benefit packages during a recession. That is why now i sit in a cubicle at Blue Cross Blue Shield of TN and process claims. It kind of sucks being the only male, minus my team lead who just came back into the office after working from home for a couple years, in the entire floor. You don't know pain and anguish till you work with over 15 females in your department and you're the only source of testosterone. By processing claims I basically get a  claim in, check warning or error messages on it, clear those, then push f4 to pay it or rotue it to a department for more investigation. Very dry, very easy, but apparently i am good at it, doing more than our "experts" who have been doing these for 5+ years in my first week and it has just gotten higher since then.

But enough about work. I found this site because I like games. At the time it was mainly WoT and SW:TOR, which I play both still, but I have since added Diablo III to my system which was immensely fun but has gotten a little frustrating in Inferno. Besides computer games, my wife and I like tabletop and board games. We  have recently started playing with D&D miniatures again and still bust out the Magic cards every now and then. Munchkin is also a favorite of mine. For board games, it's all about Risk and Diplomacy. I normally only play Diplomacy online because my group from High School has all moved off, but it's still fun, if slow, to play it online.

I also am an avid reader. If it is science fiction or fantasy, I have probably read it. If it is classic, I have probably read it. Let me just say that our library currently ahs 3 full bookshelfs stacked 2 or 3 deep with another 10-15 boxes we cannot fit on there still to be unpacked. I recently got back into writing, and have started a blog over at wordpress at http://jgunter84.wordpress.com. So far i have really just been writing reviews of books as I read them, but am goign to be adding a journal of my novel writing process. I am planning on getting back to work on my novel, but think I am going to scrap the idea I have been toying with forever and do something fresh just so I do not have that millstone hanging around my neck on the first one trying to get published.

Other pasttimes include watching sports, Go Irish!, and watching movies particuarly on netflix. A friend of mine has roped me into writing a column for his movie review site/blog on the documentaries I watch on Netflix. We are calling it Netflix Docuflix and can find it at www.grabbagcinema.com If you are into movies, and I know you are Aftr, you will probably enjoy his reviews over there.

Besides reading and writing, my wife pushed me into auditioning for our community theatre's summer musical. they are doing Fiddler on the Roof this summer and i got cast as Perchik, the student from Kiev who is a Bolshevik before Bolshevik's were cool. Seems fun so far but they mislead me on the amount of time it is going to take and it is taking up 5 days a week with almost 3 hours each day. Not what i had signed up for but we will continue to persever till its over.

I almost forgot to mention my son Walt. As a dad he and my wife are my biggest hobbies  (:2thumbs for the wife) and playing with them makes my day better.

Well that's it for Wednesday's job and hobby day. Let me know if I can clarify anything.