Sign in to follow this  
Cpl_Maida

Hearts of Iron?

I play exactly one PC game - WoT.  But on Twitch last night I saw people streaming Hearts of Iron IV and WOW it looked cool.  Does anyone have any experience with the series?

I love RTS games - just don't have any to play.

I played the early versions but no experience with IV... kinda historic or at least more historic then WoT. It used to allow alternate histories to unfold... i.e. Germany doesn't attack Poland which means Britain and France don't declare. There were interesting cheats as well... but we won't get into that. hahaha

I just picked up Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak.  I played the original homeworld which is a 3D space RTS and was always pretty cool.  Pretty unique approach.  This is their attempt at a land based RTS and is pretty well reviewed across the board.   It's a little slower pace and less zergy than StarCraft and has a reasonably short campaign of 13 missions and then a replayable skirmish mode.  Supposed to have good multiplayer too but I tend to avoid multiplayer RTS games. 

Units carry over from mission to mission so you tend to get pretty invested in keeping your best ones alive.  It's half-off on Steam until July 4th.  Also I just picked up the basic version.  Sounds like the DLC is just minor tweeks in skirmishes so not really worth the extra $6-10 until I've played it a bit.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/281610/

It's a pain in the sack when trying to figure out how to properly play. If you'd like to check it out before committing to a purchase, let me know.

Is there an online guide or anything like that? Even the guys streaming have no clue what they're doing.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I love the series and will be picking up HOI4 on the 1st.  There are some lets plays that are pretty good.  I follow Benjamin Magnus Games for his HOI series:  https://www.youtube.com/user/BenjaminMagnusGames

My recommendation after playing the series for many years....be prepared to fail.  The more you play, the more you will learn.  Plus, watch the videos.

I love the series and will be picking up HOI4 on the 1st. There are some lets plays that are pretty good. I follow Benjamin Magnus Games for his HOI series: https://www.youtube.com/user/BenjaminMagnusGames

My recommendation after playing the series for many years....be prepared to fail. The more you play, the more you will learn. Plus, watch the videos.

Would you suggest starting at the first one? Is this an online game against other players or is it a campaign against an AI?

Is there an online guide or anything like that? Even the guys streaming have no clue what they're doing.

I already gave up on it. Even tried using a trainer and it still wasn't any fun for me.