xJediDadx

Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes

So Damian and SlyGambit were talking about this game in the shoutbox yesterday and I vaguely knew about it. My son plays it on his tablet a little.

I installed it on my phone yesterday morning/afternoon sometime.  It's addicting.  It seems like I have yet to come close to running out of energy.

Since we don't have a little thread going about it and there is a way to add Allies (up to 35), I figured this would be a good place to add Ally codes.  Have to get to level 18 first before you can add anyone though.

I'll start the list off and add Damian's and Sly's since I have theirs from yesterday.

xJediDadx - 897-713-712

Aftrthought051 - 769-478-381 (Corstrewn Odai)  [Guild Leader]

SlyGambit - 925-117-391

Daniel K. (Sly's son) - 863-444-255

Deo - 929-362-731

Talisker - 254-514-639

LordOfTheS1th - 674-162-436  (Solrac)

kilgore - 894-995-155   (SirKilgore)

conscious_hero - 536-935-415   (Hero)

SilntMercy - 361-616-291

_CHILL_ - 562-531-336

Balithal - 464-794-679

Mr Linford - 756-946-914 (Y'sanne)

Tempus - 296-473-111 (Tempus Noctis)

mtjd63 -  241-161-496  (hanoj euhonod)

Camelboy0 - 443-383-235 (Camelboy)

LtMardigan - 279-818-836

Ayleward2 - 795-823-266 (Ayle Guard)

RompingRaisin - 239-961-147

Superbren33 - 748-185-584

RIPxDevilMutt - 332-664-979 (JawaBreaker)

Rogueislehero - 972-357-748

Phoenix - 778-126-618 (Phoenix1362)

Spiderman - 458-433-754 (SpiderKiller)

jbakerstull - 695-275-552 (Bakerstull)

harfman - 365-114-367 (harf2)

Dutini - 187-688-154 (Filliad)

Comeandtakeit1836 - 692-846-765 (Ben Rolo)

If you play and want to be added to the list, post your Ally Code and I or someone who has control over this section will update the list.

Edit: We have a Guild now, please see this thread for information on it.  http://dadshideout.com/IPS/index.php?/topic/15074-star-wars-galaxy-of-heroes-guild/

The dailies are great to get started.. but having a high level comes back to hurt you, depending on how you level/buff your guys. The higher you go, the faster you run out of credits. You get the best "loot" from the Galactic War, but the opponents you face are based on your overall level. So, in order to compete to the end, you want to have your overall level as low as possible or have your A team as high as possible.

Of course, this runs counter to the need for separate light/dark crews for the regular battles where you find the gear pieces. Since the hard battles are limited to 3 tries per node, it is not the best way to get shards.

Cantina battles can be "repeated" as long as you have the energy and you can get a lot of shards off a node straight off. You also get special points off cantina battles that you can redeem like the shipments or Arena points.

Yeah, add SlyGambit for sure. Holy crap does he have a LOT of high level characters.

I don't think you can prevent gaining levels though, Deo. I'm also 6 shards away from getting Darth Vader, so I need to level up a bit more, or do other achievements. I know the woes you are talking about as I am there at level 63 and things have slowed down. It is also very beneficial to level up characters you have with shards, or to at least increase their gear. Just gaining levels is minimal gains compared to stars and gear. And I do just fine with the hard battles to get shards. You have to work at it, but then also buy those extras for the ones you are aiming for when they show up in other areas like the Arena credits, shipments, or the Galactic War ruppees. I try to focus on one or two characters at a time. And while the Cantina is better because you can do the fight over and over again, you get more energy for regular battles through build up, and that bonus energy.

I started a day into the hard launch (they did a soft launch server shard in October).  

Tips for starting leading to 'end game'.

1)  If you like Star Wars just buy the $5 starter bundle.  It is a limited time offer for your account.  They never give any good deals after where you get a guaranteed character for so little.  Most of their 'bundles' are a huge ripoff.  $50 for a single character or $100 for a couple characters.  

2) When you start the first thing you should do is unlock your arena.  Then see how high a rank the first guy is on your arena.  Each arena is in a server shard with upwards of 10k accounts on it before they open up another server.  If you happen to get in early then you'll be able to get arena rank.   If you have a terrible arena (ie guys at level 30 when you're just starting) then consider deleting that account and just starting another.  

3)  Use all 5 of your arena battles daily to get rank.  If you're like me and don't spend money on mobile games then arena is where you get crystals.  Top-5 gets you enough crystals that you can compete with people spending money.  People spend ridiculous amounts of money on this game.  The guy I regularly compete with has spent well over $5000 but I probably beat his team 2/3 of the time.  He probably beats my team 4/5 of the time.   

4)  Spend crystals on energy refreshes (50/50/100/100) and cantina refills (100/200).  Farm gear in light/dark missions.   But one Chromium single pack (I believe the first one is a guaranteed character) but no more than the first one.  THey are a giant waste of crystals.  It is much better to invest those in refreshes if you want more characters.   

5) Don't be afraid to spend 50 crystals on arena battles to give you an extra 5 battles.  Those extra five often help catapult you to the next prize level where the payout is usually 50 crystals more.  So you get a wash the first time but if you can maintain it.  The payout time is either 6 PM or 7 PM your local time (they don't adjust for DST) but other people in your arena will be playing to get their arena closing time.  So if you're PST a lot of the guys at the top will not fight back as you beat them because they already got their prize payout.

6)  Focus on building 1 arena team and 1 Galactic War team.  Only focus on other characters if you are unable to complete your daily challenge missions.  For a FTP team the following teams overlap and are perfectly fine in the end game.  Completing galactic war daily is really key to life as a FTP as it gets you a lot of credits plus droids plus shards plus mats.   

7) Keep your arena team near your max character level and try to keep your GW team within 5 levels.  If your GW team is lagging don't sacrifice them for arena.  Sacrifice arena for GW.

Here are toons I recommend.  

Arena - Darth Sideous (L), Geonosian Soldier, IG-86, Poggle, Qui-Gon Gin/IG-88

Galactic War - Bariss (L), Jedi Consular, Luminara, IG-86, Geonosian Soldier

I'd farm them in the following order.

Arena

Sid (6*)

IG-88 (6*)

Sid (7*)

IG-88 (7*) 

Eeth Koth (7*)

Ventress (7*) 

Galactic War

Luminara (7*)

Poggle (4*)

IG-86 (7*)

Poggle (7*)

Cantina Battles

Geo Soldier (5*)

JC (5*)

Bariss (4*)

Geo Soldier (7*)

Cantina Shipments

Qui-Gon (6*)

Ashoka (6*) (she literally just got buffed yesterday but it's a safe bet she'll be a rock star on a Qui Gon led team)

Daka (4*) 

Hard Nodes:

Royal Guard (4*)

JC (5*)

IG-86 (5*)

Rey (7*)

Note that with Qui Gon, Bariss, Ashoka, Luminara, and JC you'll be able to get Yoda through the Yoda challenge.  

Here's my current stable of toons.  If anyone wants to try one out and is allied with me just PM me.  My kid usually has me putting in random stuff although he likes using Yoda most of the time.  I try to leave Bariss/Daka in for LS/DS missions but he trumps that.  

Obviously little or no chromium characters but I have pretty much every viable FTP toon.

EFm4lYs.pngzcjluzU.pngNVgjo2X.png

The dailies are great to get started.. but having a high level comes back to hurt you, depending on how you level/buff your guys. The higher you go, the faster you run out of credits. You get the best "loot" from the Galactic War, but the opponents you face are based on your overall level. So, in order to compete to the end, you want to have your overall level as low as possible or have your A team as high as possible.

Of course, this runs counter to the need for separate light/dark crews for the regular battles where you find the gear pieces. Since the hard battles are limited to 3 tries per node, it is not the best way to get shards.

Cantina battles can be "repeated" as long as you have the energy and you can get a lot of shards off a node straight off. You also get special points off cantina battles that you can redeem like the shipments or Arena points.

The devs have changed the MM rules for GW a lot and they refuse to disclose how they do it.  The best guess right now is that it is based on your highest power rating of your arena team on a win. Your account level is also factored in however that seems to be  more of a max level your enemy will be at.  IE. if you're level 50 you should never see level 70 acounts even if they have sandbagged arena to keep their GW easier. 

IE. if you win an arena battle with a 5k power rating and that's the highest rating your team has ever had in a win then 5k is used to determine your GW battles.  If you then play arena with a 6k squad but never win nothing changes.  If you play with a 4k squad and win then nothing changes.  If you play with a 6k squad and win then 6k is your new magic GW number.  

GW now seems to run first 6 nodes below your power rating and level.  Then around the 7th node you'll start seeing similar level but lower power rating.  By node 8 it's typically the same or higher power rating/level.    

Geez man, that's a lot to take in! :lol

I've already spent the $5 on the starter kit. I've been hitting what I can daily as far as daily challenges and such.

Yeah.  It doesn't make a lot of sense.  But come back in a couple weeks and it'll start to translate :)

I play a bit on my son's account to help him out.  His was started in January or so.   I deliberately spread out his team more with arena toons and GW toons all within a couple levels of each other.  He enjoys more random characters because he watches Rebels and Clone Wars.   Plus his sister plays on his account too so we get a lot of the female characters.   He's up to level 64 or so now and his main toons are between 60-63.  

I warned them both that Ashoka was a big waste but joke's on me.  In the last 2 months they introduced the yoda challenge where Ashoka is actually really useful.  Then they just put out a patch yesterday that increased her speed from useless to one of the fastest characters in the game when Qui Gon is lead.  Now she's really, really good.   And I don't have her.  :) 

The devs in this game are pretty awful about communication and buffs/nerfs.  So the arena meta changes at their whim which can be pretty annoying when it takes month+ to farm a character to max.  Still a fun game to play when you're on a phone call or 'watching' Scandal with the wife.  

I have Ashoka, her specialty move is devastating. I just got Mace Windu, and I am one shard away from Kylo Ren. He has freaking wiped out my team several times with his specialty at high level. Can't wait to level him up and do it myself.

Is there a max level with gear? I keep going and going, and man, it is taking more and more stuff to level up and craft.

I have Ashoka, her specialty move is devastating. I just got Mace Windu, and I am one shard away from Kylo Ren. He has freaking wiped out my team several times with his specialty at high level. Can't wait to level him up and do it myself.

Is there a max level with gear? I keep going and going, and man, it is taking more and more stuff to level up and craft.

It's either gear 8 or gear 9 depending on the character (Greedo and Jedi Guardian could get to gear X through a temporary glitch but can't anymore).  Most of my top 2 rows of toons are max geared minus a few slots that require 50 purple things.  Those I'll probably gear up once the level caps go up to 80 (which is probably happening in April). 

Kylo Ren is not very effective right now.  He's slow and he needs to get hit once he gets retribution going but even then his basic attack is just meh.  If he's useable at all it's just with Phasma as lead and she's no longer very popular as lead.  Still a Phasma/Kylo/Dooku/Daka/GS team is pretty effective and good enough to get into the top 20 of most arenas.   

Mace is the same way way as Kylo.  With his recent buff he's better but still not really that good. His random expose has to pop on the guy he's attacking for him to do a lot of damage.  He's also a big problem for the Yoda challenge since that random expose will always fall on Yoda and Yoda gains turn meter whenever he resists it (which he pretty much always does).  That doesn't really matter until the 7* challenge but it's something to keep in mind.  

Just about anybody you get up to 4* will be useful.  Particularly in GW coming off your bench or in challenges.  But I wouldn't get Mace or Kylo above 5*.  The guys you get past 5* are geared towards end-game stuff and neither of them cut it atm.