Toggle shoutbox Dads Shout

joey791 : (24 April 2017 - 11:27 PM)

Welcome to the forums sgt. flint :)

sgt. flint : (24 April 2017 - 11:38 PM)

Hey All......anyone out there from 2 years ago remember me?

sgt. flint : (24 April 2017 - 11:39 PM)

just started playing WOT again and looking for a clan or group

bergsteiger : (25 April 2017 - 08:31 AM)

Crazy night. Got all my wins AFTER I quit tooning. Very unusual.

The_Dad : (25 April 2017 - 08:36 AM)

similar experience last night... all my wins were BEFORE I started platooning

NeoGP : (25 April 2017 - 10:25 AM)

Hey Flint!

xtc4 : (25 April 2017 - 11:28 AM)

With new mm, having good players at the top of the list seems to make a huge difference. And platooning seems to almost always put you at bottom of the list. So perhaps it makes sense that you good players are winning when playing solo.

Archaic : (25 April 2017 - 11:14 PM)

Yes, platoons seem to be pretty gimped with 3-5-7

sgt. flint : (26 April 2017 - 02:12 AM)

Hey Neo, yes i remember you. any others from the old crew still running?

NeoGP : (26 April 2017 - 10:17 AM)

not sure man..I haven't played wot in 2+ years, alot of changes throughout the 5 clans

SGrant7 : (26 April 2017 - 12:05 PM)

Haven't been on much in the last few days, but are 2 man platoons fairing much better?

bergsteiger : (26 April 2017 - 02:38 PM)

Platooning doesn't seem as big of an issue as Tier 8s. Don't think I've had a single game that I was top tier in an VIII

joey791 : (27 April 2017 - 04:13 PM)

Welcome to the forums Old_Fart_63 :)

Old_Fart_63 : (27 April 2017 - 04:27 PM)

Heading back to the front, I'll check in later

PastorGordon : (27 April 2017 - 11:12 PM)

Check out the Buy, Sell, Trade forums... Dad's Hideout T-Shirts available now for a short time!

SGrant7 : (28 April 2017 - 07:43 AM)

Happy Friday Dads!

bergsteiger : (28 April 2017 - 09:05 AM)

Friday indeed!

Talisker : (28 April 2017 - 12:55 PM)

Friday :bnb

Old_Fart_63 : (28 April 2017 - 05:04 PM)

I've done two rooms in my home with bamboo and it worked great, Just remember to leave that space for swelling of flooring. Can't really add anything to what has already been said.

Old_Fart_63 : (28 April 2017 - 05:05 PM)

The new laminate flooring "No nails" is a big change in flooring and it looks beautiful

Photo

Overclocking

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 bigfabdaddy

bigfabdaddy

How did this happen?

• Commander
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • Real first name:Jordan
  • Steam:Bigfabdaddy
  • WoT ID:Bigfabdaddy

Posted 15 November 2015 - 12:28 AM

Here I plan to write out the steps I have taken to oc my i5-4690k.

First I disabled all the auto stuff in the bios to the low standard of the bios.

I then set my base freq. to 100.00Mhz I set my voltage to 1.011 witch is my base voltage and my multiplier to 42.

This resulted in a very unstable boot that would not even load windows to the log in with out crashing. I then increased my voltage by .025 each time. I am now sitting at 4199.09Mhz 1.200v with a stable set up. I next plan to increase my multiplier to 43 and then 44 until I can find a stable oc staying as close to 1.200v as possible. I feel that this voltage is a bit high for my current cooler and will most likely back it off a bit till I get the noctua D15 or build a custom loop.

Nitro if you have any input on this please post. I have oced before but this is my first time doing so with an intel chip. My last oc on this set up was through the bios 20%, 40%, and 60% performance increase which resulted in a nice oc and stable but much higher temps that I would have liked.

Next upgrade is going to be purchasing and installing a NF-D15 to try and keep temps much lower than what I am currently seeing and then possibly building a custom loop for the CPU and GPUs.

My current cooler is a Cooler Master Seidon 120V - Compact All-In-One CPU Liquid Water Cooling System with 120mm Radiator and Fan. This unit is loud and really does not work as it was said it would. Temps are crazy from time to time and I fear the pump may fail soon as some reviews have indicated.

I am also seeing a problem in CPU-Z when I run Prime95, Cinabench 5, and Furmark CPU burn in all at the same time. This problem is CPU-Z is showing my Bus Speed jumping all over the place resulting in core speeds ranging from 3.8Ghz all the way to 5.3Ghz which I know is not true/not good for my CPU. But while this is happening there is no significant change in my CPU core temps. I am wondering if this is due to me missing something in the bios or CPU-Z being buggy. And yes I know those are all CPU stress-tests/benchmarks and they are going to "over-stress" my CPU all running together.

I am also looking to bring my 939 socket AMD back to life with a LN2 pot and make a video of some LN2 overclocking. I want the mounting hardware to be able to make use of the POT with other AMD and Intel sockets as well.

I'm not sure if any other dads are in to PC tech the way that I am thus allowing us to share our findings with each other. Also if there are any dads interested in this stuff that are “close” to me go ahead and PM me we will see about setting up a BBQ and some “extream overclocking” just for poops and jiggles.

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the hobbies forum since it seems frying CPUs and GPUs is kinda of a hobby at this point. (Some companies are even allowing me to warranty fried parts. :winner )

EDIT: I can't spell for CRAP lol.

Edited by bigfabdaddy, 15 November 2015 - 02:30 AM.

#2 nitro_x

nitro_x

Commander

• WoT Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 10:34 PM

Max Volatge for a 4690K is around 1.30V 

If your temps are staying around 60-70C then you're fine but I wouldn't push it past 1.25 

What you're seeing is the product of too many stress tests at the same time. Remember, you don't have Hyper Threading like an I7 so you don't have extra threads to dump processes on. Try to keep it to 1 bench at a time. 

Also, Haswell is finicky when it comes to overclocking. With them it's a silicone lottery if you can get to that magical sweet spot. You might hit 4.7 GHz under air or you could stop short at 4.4. There's no telling until you try it. It's not like Sandy-E or Haswell-E where they have allowed you to completely take control of voltages. On mine, I can hit 5.0 GHz if I up my voltage to around 1.5 but temps get around 65-75 C which isn't good. 

Look for the following programs online:

Speccy

OCCT

Core Temp

CPU-Z is good for watching what's going on but not always the best for monitoring temps. 

Side note - Broadwell - E was leaked this weekend. Intel will now be making a 10 Core 20 thread Enthusiast CPU. Price will be around $1100.00 So, when I sell my current rig that's what I'm buying on release. 

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Users Awards

#3 bigfabdaddy

bigfabdaddy

How did this happen?

• Commander
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:08 AM

Max Volatge for a 4690K is around 1.30V 

If your temps are staying around 60-70C then you're fine but I wouldn't push it past 1.25 

What you're seeing is the product of too many stress tests at the same time. Remember, you don't have Hyper Threading like an I7 so you don't have extra threads to dump processes on. Try to keep it to 1 bench at a time. 

Also, Haswell is finicky when it comes to overclocking. With them it's a silicone lottery if you can get to that magical sweet spot. You might hit 4.7 GHz under air or you could stop short at 4.4. There's no telling until you try it. It's not like Sandy-E or Haswell-E where they have allowed you to completely take control of voltages. On mine, I can hit 5.0 GHz if I up my voltage to around 1.5 but temps get around 65-75 C which isn't good. 

Look for the following programs online:

Speccy

OCCT

Core Temp

CPU-Z is good for watching what's going on but not always the best for monitoring temps. 

Side note - Broadwell - E was leaked this weekend. Intel will now be making a 10 Core 20 thread Enthusiast CPU. Price will be around $1100.00 So, when I sell my current rig that's what I'm buying on release. 

I was able to benchmark in XTU 4.5GHz 1.25v Temps hit a high of 71C for 884marks. I then down clocked to 4.4GHz 1.2v 64C Temp for 880marks.

My current cooler.

I can honestly say that I feel the pump is about to die pushing it the way I have been and have hopes of a Nactua D15 with all noctua fans in the case or a custom loop with all noctua fans on it. I would toss up some of my screen grabs from my OC's but we don't have a file upload on this forum. If your a member of oc.net you can find me there as oz120 with tons of screen grabs posted along with a ton of photos of my new case.

That broadwell - E sounds boss to me and I would love to pick one up but the price is a bit extreme right now. Not to mention I only built this one last fall and if I would build a new rig in this case the GF would kill me.

I use trueTemp to keep tabs on my temps along with CPU-Z and HWiNFO64. Since these are required to be in your photos for oc novice competitions. I do plan to however bring my 939 back to life with LN2 and see if I can get it to cook past 4.8GHz :construction

I hope some day to not a be a poor and be able to afford an upgrade every year. Hoping to soon start a review channel on youtube and see if I can sucker some companies in to sending me free parts to burn up lol.

Do you always sell your current rigs to build the next one? I was thinking of getting a smaller case for my current rig and making it my GFs rig when I build the next one. since I don't think my 15-4690K and SLi GTX 760's will go for much. The parts currently in my case that I want to upgrade are bellow 1k all together and that is new. lol Looks like I might have to wait for Skylake - E to come out for my next build at my current 0 income level.

or I could just go to the i7-4790K and upgrade to the next gen GPU since the small about of video editing and rendering wont be worth $1000's, what are your thoughts?

#4 bigfabdaddy

bigfabdaddy

How did this happen?

• Commander
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:30 AM

a67036c0b176a2d66d81d1b47d04d04b.jpg

7d03aadc23246f2d3cea4874d03a335d.jpg

36f721cf4dffd06a8b57e535f5751276.jpg

3a4ea4d29d983d9c2968f699e922880f.jpg

d1e8b9ba62ec751b0a5ac24b8409b934.jpg

75209cf55dd43467c8455bd46e6e9ca4.jpg

bbd542478b62c563d122d4873fa9ca62.jpg

0b7fd695b7db174d245dde2236b521b0.jpg

Photos as promised.

Sent from my Z932L using Tapatalk

#5 bigfabdaddy

bigfabdaddy

How did this happen?

• Commander
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 03:50 PM

Ok new problem windows 10 just installed a new upgrade and XTU will no longer launch plus they have blocked access to all my other OC utilities. So tired of Microsoft!!!!!!!!!!!!! now I have to figure out how to get XTU to run so that I can get back to my competition benchmarking.

#6 nitro_x

nitro_x

Commander

• WoT Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:32 PM

Ok new problem windows 10 just installed a new upgrade and XTU will no longer launch plus they have blocked access to all my other OC utilities. So tired of Microsoft!!!!!!!!!!!!! now I have to figure out how to get XTU to run so that I can get back to my competition benchmarking.

Are you doing BIOS OC or software? Only way to go is through BIOS.

120mm AIO's  are not good for overclocking. A good air cooler will outdo them all day long. I use a Corsair H100i GTX with 240mm radiator and 4 x Corsair AF-120 Quiet Editions in a push/pull config.  Try adding another fan to that Seidon and check your case for positive pressure. I aslo might have an NZXt 200mm PWM fan you can have for your front.

Also, yes, I use older rigs to finance the new builds. I keep certain parts and replace as I go. 

Extra side note: Just realized my PSU is developing a nasty coil whine. It has to be from one of the cooling fans. Time to replace them with Noctuas. :D

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Users Awards

#7 bigfabdaddy

bigfabdaddy

How did this happen?

• Commander
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 12:05 AM

Are you doing BIOS OC or software? Only way to go is through BIOS.

120mm AIO's  are not good for overclocking. A good air cooler will outdo them all day long. I use a Corsair H100i GTX with 240mm radiator and 4 x Corsair AF-120 Quiet Editions in a push/pull config.  Try adding another fan to that Seidon and check your case for positive pressure. I aslo might have an NZXt 200mm PWM fan you can have for your front.

Also, yes, I use older rigs to finance the new builds. I keep certain parts and replace as I go. 

Extra side note: Just realized my PSU is developing a nasty coil whine. It has to be from one of the cooling fans. Time to replace them with Noctuas. :D

I overclock through the BIOS but use XTU for validation since its required my HWBOT. I was able to get XTU running again by uninstalling and reinstalling. I would do push pull on on my Seidon but I don't currently have a Y for the CPU Fan header and the fan cables are not long enough to reach my PWM card on the back of the motherboard tray, plus that is where I have my case fans and they are only running 600-900 RPM. I currently have a 200mm in the front a 120mm on the HDD cage a 120mm on the rear pushing out of the Seidon and 2x 140mm as intake on the top. this gives me good positive pressure that feeds my Seidon and reference cooler 760's.

The loudest part of my current setup seems to be the CPU pump which drives me nuts lol. I do plan to sell the 760's once I sell some of my old snake gear to get a 980Ti or wait for the next gen to come out next summer(thoughts?). I also plan to do a x99 or Z170 build around the time of the GPU upgrade and then I plan to put this system (or a micro 1150 socket) in anther case with a D15 or a H100i for my GF since the Optiplex 760 that she is currently using is loud as hell and old also, I plan to reuse my current case for the next build since its huge and sexy.

Would the NZXt 200mm be quieter than my current 200mm? The 200mm and the 2x 140mm came with the case the fan on the Seidon came with it and the 120mm on the HDD cage was the top exhaust on my old case hence the janky look of the fans in the pics.

#8 nitro_x

nitro_x

Commander

• WoT Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 06:40 PM

I'll look at the dBs on it and cfm. If it's better it's yours. I also have a Bit Fenix Prodigy 140mm you can have. It's very quiet and getting switched out with Corsair

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Users Awards

#9 nitro_x

nitro_x

Commander

• WoT Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 07:33 PM

Here is NZXT specs: http://www.coolerguy...neo0aAlTF8P8HAQ

Phanteks: http://phanteks.com/PH-F200SP.html

NZXT has mor pressure, cfm and noise. It's a hit or miss scenario. Trade noise for cooling.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Users Awards

#10 bigfabdaddy

bigfabdaddy

How did this happen?

• Commander
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 12:27 PM

Sounds like a good trade off plus if it moves more air you could run it a little slower and get more air moved.

What kinda price are we talking cause im broke and need GPU lol.

I had a GTX 760 die today. :( thats what I get for looking at 980Ti's online. It saw me looking for its replacement and decided to off itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users