Sign in to follow this  
Geek_Verve

Removing double spaces

Question

When typing, I tend to use two spaces between sentences.  The forum appears to automatically remove multiple spaces, resulting in no space between sentences.  Any way to tweak that?  While the formality of double-spaced sentence separation isn't required here by any means, it's a hard habit to break.

8 answers to this question

OK, when you click "more reply options", and then in the upper left corner, there is a light switch button.  If you hit this, it will turn off the editing.  This will prevent it from auto-correcting double spaces. It will also turn it into some old type writer font, but you have to give and take. There is no overall option for me to change the formatting on the forum.

See. Double spaces.

Guest ......

I am not seeing the light switch button, did I fix it by hitting the button all the way on the

top left?

Check for spaces here to make sure. gpc_4 doesn't hate me. how is it?

Yes I found the correct button but it takes away all options including colors/fonts etc. gpc_4 will just have to deal with my spacing as I don't like typing in this format. Sorry pal.

Easy solution. Single space after periods like the rest of the modern world. I learned to type with double spaces. However, like most institutions these days, my employer's style guide requires single spacing. It took some adjustment on my part but I made the change and am better for it.

Yes, I was the same way GPC. We grew up with typewriters, where the correct standard is double spaces after period, one for comma. But with computers, the grammar has changed and it is now proper for a single space all the time.

Yes, I was the same way GPC. We grew up with typewriters, where the correct standard is double spaces after period, one for comma. But with computers, the grammar has changed and it is now proper for a single space all the time.

Well, I didn't learn on a typewriter but they did teach us double spacing in 6th grade typing class :smile2

...and that is how I typed all the way through high school, college, and grad school. Didn't make the change until I started my current job in early 2010.