Sign in to follow this  
_CHILL_

why arty should be hated so much

Not genuinely bent over it, but certainly think its trash.  I realize the need for it in organized play and would never choose to go into CW without it if we could help it, but that doesn't make it good - that just means that we need to abuse the broken mechanic just like the other team will do to us.  Also I realize WG will never get rid of it.  I think what they've introduced with air strikes and arty raids in CW 2.0 and SH is a much better solution than its current form.  Target an area and hope you do damage.  Don't target specific tanks and then cross your fingers you hit.

As someone who loves to play arty (and has been doing so since closed beta, when arty REALLY could mess up a match), and is tired of all the b.s. thrown the way of arty drivers, how is "..and hope you do damage" and better than "..cross your fingers you hit"?

To say arty is no skill and 100% RNG is, of course, anything but true. And your big complaint about it is "you can't shoot back at an arty", but name one other single vehicle type in the game that once it's spotted has a single method (turret, gun, or armor) of defending itself? There is none, period.

Sure, arty can rain fire from a distance like no other.. but it takes a good amount of know-how in knowing where to be and when, and knowing how to angle your shot to hit that red tank hiding behind a hill, etc., etc., etc. (at times, alot more skill than simply driving a heavy tank into the field and brawling with another heavy tank).

Light tanks have their speed for defense, plus have their speed for offense, and have a gun for direct. Mediums, more or less the same with some armor thrown in. Heavy tanks, armor and big guns. TD's camo (less than they used to have) and usually a big gun. Arty? Massive gun that works at distance and is terrible (at best) at direct fire, and absolutely no armor to speak of.

In some very specific situations, arty can be the most difficult vehicle to play in the match. I would almost say TD's are much easier to play than arty (and I love my td's)

Not going to get in to ARTY should be removed from the game fight. but as some one who plays Arty mostly because not only do i like it but its the only class i can play comfortably with only one working arm/hand. the only comment i will make is the people who say arty takes no skill need to actually try it not just drop a few matches in BUT ACTUALLY take the time to do it it right. A good Arty player can take a Losing team to a win simply by positioning. you can just think 1-2 shots but 5-10 shot ahead watch were your team goes and more importantly were they DONT go. and arty doesnt work with out a good scout. otherwise its simply a TD with a RNG alpha and crappy depression. and in Pubs as a arty player just plan on dying in 80-85% of your matches.

http://wotreplays.com/site/2071187#tundra-slygambit-m53_m55

Pretty sure I just won this thread.

Nice game.  :2thumbs.  However, most will just say you RNG'd from a safe hiding place all game.  Your positioning, repositioning, forethought into map play, dependence on teammates to spot, and patience to pick a viable target which would benefit the team vs charging into an area relying on armor to save your butt while blasting at whatever you find in front of you had nothing to do with your outcome.

As a former arty driver, I know better. ;)

Btw, I love when people shout "no arty!" because what they really mean is "I can camp/charge without consequence now and let others carry the game for me/die 'heroically' in battle!"  :lol

The key was terrible, horrible RNG all game but staying alive long enough to eventually make an impact. Even at the end it was a constant battle between RNG and positioning. Even at the end when I chose to use the cap to draw him out rather than risk a draw and I positioned myself in a location on cap where he wasn't expecting me (most would have hid behind the rock). It basically encapsulated the argument that playing arty is super RNG defendant while at the same time good arty players do what they can to limit that exposure to RNG.

Funny that most of my best shots were fully aimed blind shots where I had to predict location and time the shell travel. My fully aimed shots early on lit targets could catch squat.

Also I'm on SPG 15 3rd set. I needed top damage (check), top XP (check), and 3k damage... So very close.

Nice game.  :2thumbs.  However, most will just say you RNG'd from a safe hiding place all game. 

I'm not gonna watch the replay obviously but this is exactly what happened.  Thanks for typing it out so I didn't have to.

drop a few matches in BUT ACTUALLY take the time to do it it right.

I got my first Gore's medal in my 3rd game ever playing arty.  No time or skill required.  I cleared the first set of arty missions with honors and have quite literally no idea what I'm doing.  Before I'm done the grind I'll probably get my 2nd MOE.

In some very specific situations, arty can be the most difficult vehicle to play in the match. I would almost say TD's are much easier to play than arty (and I love my td's)

There are exactly zero people that will agree with this statement.  Everything you've listed that it takes to know how to play arty well it takes to know how to play every other class well.  The difference is every other class has repercussions when shooting.  Arty has none.  I'm not a TD guy either - I played the Hellcat as a new player and had fun with it.  I struggled through the T25/2 and hung up TD's all together.  As much as you want to in a TD, you can't red line snipe from 1000m away in your T25/2, and the spash radius on the shell is non-existent.

I get it - you guys love arty.  Doesn't mean its a god mechanic.  Doesn't mean just because you like it that it's somehow difficult to play.  I know it isn't going anywhere.  I've sort of been forced into the role of bashing arty, when I really don't care about arty at all - that is to say I think its broken and should go - and that's the end of how I think of it.

That a was a good game there Sly, well played. What people fail to understand is that arty requires a different set of skills from other game vehicles cause they are unique in their game play and abilities. I usually don't respond to arty threads cause no matter what I say it will not change an arty haters mind nor will your opinions change mine. I like arty and its unique play style albeit its abilities have been severely handicapped due to the several nerfs that have taken place. I had the T92 long before there was a 53-55 so have never played that vehicle, the T92 is the only arty I have in the stable or will ever have (maybe) due to the random nerfs that have diminished arties abilities to the point where its not feasible to play except in an organised game play like CW's or SH's. That's my 2 cents worth take it or leave it.

I'm not gonna watch the replay obviously but this is exactly what happened.  Thanks for typing it out so I didn't have to.

drop a few matches in BUT ACTUALLY take the time to do it it right.

There are exactly zero people that will agree with this statement.  Everything you've listed that it takes to know how to play arty well it takes to know how to play every other class well.  The difference is every other class has repercussions when shooting.  Arty has none.

I get it - you guys love arty.  Doesn't mean its a god mechanic.  Doesn't mean just because you like it that it's somehow difficult to play.

Sorry, but you're way off. Your blind hatred for arty isnt' going to change, you're one of those people. You haven't spent enough time actually trying to play arty at a high level, you've only just closed your eyes and mashed the fire button. The game is full of people like you who hate arty because it's "so easy to get killed by it" without any other basis for your opinion.

There are a great many people who would agree with my statement. I know, because I've chatted with alot of them. And just because you don't like it doesn't mean that anything I've said isn't true.

And no, there are NO other classes who have to figure out how to perfectly line up their once-every-40-seconds (or longer) shot to try and hit that tank hiding on the fire side of a hill. None. Period. And there are NO other classes who, once spotted, are dead almost every single time. None. Period. And since you've admitted to not spending much time in a td (a hellcat isn't a "true" td with that speed and that turret.. even post-nerf) either, you wouldn't know exactly how easy a td can be to play, nor would you know how it feels to be the last arty on the field and the last tank on your team, with everyone screaming that you're an idiot in chat, and three enemy tanks bearing down on you, only to manage to take them out yourself and win the match.

Try doing THAT in any...other.. vehicle out there, but without any gun depression, a 40 second reload time, no spotting ability, and absolutely no armor. You can't. Period.

I've played alot of arty, you'r way, way off when you say there's absolutely no skill in playing it. But we don't expect you to change your mind (you refused to watch the replay posted above, just so you can cling to your blind hatred), as you've admitted here you aren't willing to take any time to even try and understand it. So, carry on.

Sorry, but you're way off. Your blind hatred for arty isnt' going to change, you're one of those people. You haven't spent enough time actually trying to play arty at a high level, you've only just closed your eyes and mashed the fire button. The game is full of people like you who hate arty because it's "so easy to get killed by it" without any other basis for your opinion.

There are a great many people who would agree with my statement. I know, because I've chatted with alot of them. And just because you don't like it doesn't mean that anything I've said isn't true.

And no, there are NO other classes who have to figure out how to perfectly line up their once-every-40-seconds (or longer) shot to try and hit that tank hiding on the fire side of a hill. None. Period. And there are NO other classes who, once spotted, are dead almost every single time. None. Period. And since you've admitted to not spending much time in a td (a hellcat isn't a "true" td with that speed and that turret.. even post-nerf) either, you wouldn't know exactly how easy a td can be to play, nor would you know how it feels to be the last arty on the field and the last tank on your team, with everyone screaming that you're an idiot in chat, and three enemy tanks bearing down on you, only to manage to take them out yourself and win the match.

Try doing THAT in any...other.. vehicle out there, but without any gun depression, a 40 second reload time, no spotting ability, and absolutely no armor. You can't. Period.

I've played alot of arty, you'r way, way off when you say there's absolutely no skill in playing it. But we don't expect you to change your mind (you refused to watch the replay posted above, just so you can cling to your blind hatred), as you've admitted here you aren't willing to take any time to even try and understand it. So, carry on.

LOL.