Toggle shoutbox Dads Shout

joey791 : (21 January 2017 - 12:27 AM)

Welcome to the forums BryqanVet :)

joey791 : (21 January 2017 - 03:53 AM)

Welcome to the forums yanabluldjaway :)

joey791 : (21 January 2017 - 08:31 AM)

Welcome to the forums Greasedscotsman :)

joey791 : (21 January 2017 - 11:59 AM)

Welcome to the forums Robbiesot :)

joey791 : (21 January 2017 - 12:55 PM)

Welcome to the forums ArtemSeoKrDrura :)

joey791 : (21 January 2017 - 03:52 PM)

Welcome to the forums Istvan56 :)

joey791 : (21 January 2017 - 08:36 PM)

Welcome to the forums LeslieSib :)

joey791 : (22 January 2017 - 12:28 AM)

Welcome to the forums Mirpsen :)

joey791 : (22 January 2017 - 04:21 AM)

Welcome to the forums JekaPush :)

joey791 : (22 January 2017 - 07:24 PM)

Welcome to the forums Jellico_6 :)

joey791 : (22 January 2017 - 10:09 PM)

Welcome to the forums qapedNer :)

joey791 : (23 January 2017 - 01:35 AM)

Welcome to the forums Aphukeettip :)

joey791 : (23 January 2017 - 04:14 AM)

Welcome to the forums PeterBrooksIKS :)

joey791 : (23 January 2017 - 07:13 AM)

Welcome to the forums Mis.Loexacy :)

joey791 : (23 January 2017 - 11:12 AM)

Welcome to the forums OlTanker :)

SGrant7 : (23 January 2017 - 01:30 PM)

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (the official title to episode VIII) http://www.starwars....p=smc|785924799

SGrant7 : (23 January 2017 - 01:33 PM)

It releases Dec 15th, 2017

joey791 : (23 January 2017 - 05:34 PM)

Welcome to the forums jogg11 :)

joey791 : (23 January 2017 - 10:40 PM)

Welcome to the forums novotny6 :)

msavary85 : (24 January 2017 - 01:02 AM)

Well the official count is in. 13 feet of snow in just 5 days

Photo

DHO Clan/New Players

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Ayleward2

Ayleward2

Commander

• WoT Commanders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:33 PM

Noting the Clan items mentioned below, figured this might be a discussion area for that as well.

I noted in TS last night that WoWs, unlike Tanks, is not (to my mind) a pick up and start playing game.There is a distinct learning curve of about 2 months that I see in the new players learning to think about their next move.Best example, in Tanks, you want to stop, you stop.Warships keep their momentum longer, so you have to plan to stop ahead of time.In the offensive case, torpedoes, if you are firing torps you can follow the indicator if your target is a new player or distracted, but experienced players you are predicting where they are going to go, not where they are headed now.Tanks, you point and click. (ignoring weakspots for the moment)
*Not bashing tanks, but that is some of the game's success, you can pick it up and do okay right off.

So, I am interested in suggestions on how to help the dads that are going to want to play this, how do we help the learning curve?I know that I am lucky at the moment, I have an hour most nights to play, but trying to learn when you might have 2-3 hours a week at most could be difficult.

On the clan front, I expect that the clan officers will handle inactivity if the clan needs space for new members that are active.I know DHO4 pretty much does that at the moment, if there are people who specifically want into 4 and space is required, Mykk checks the activity logs and messages members that are inactive to check their status before dropping them.A simple message back (Hey, I still want to be in 4, life happened, etc.) provides sufficient feedback that you still want to be there and participate in tanks, similarly you probably could message the 'Enjoying Warships, let my place lapse and I will ask for a spot in the clan(s) when I get back to tanks'.

We already have DHO, DHO 2 etc., for Warships is it going to be DHO A, B, C?

Ayle

Ayle
Posted Image

#2 SlyGambit

SlyGambit

God-Like

• WoT Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,736 posts
  • PSN:rkel76
  • Steam:SlyGambit
  • WoT ID:SlyGambit

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:26 AM

Are there any actual clan mechanisms in WoWS yet?I didn't think there were.I think creating a single WoWs devoted DHO isn't a bad idea for recruiting new, dedicated WoWs players.Have anyone from DHO who is done playing tanks (or at least the part that requires clan membership) switch over to it so its populated. Recruiting during open beta helped DHO get off the ground in WoT.

Beyond that I wouldn't do anything.WG still hasn't figured out how they'll deal with people who are active in WoWs and WoT.Obviously I'm not planning on dropping out of X anytime soon but I'd like to play ships with DHO if/when they implement a CW like end-game.I'm hopeful that WG will allow that by letting accounts be in clans for the different games.The unified clans they originally came up with seems to have been scrapped.

As far as the learning curve I'm kind of laughing over the idea that people jump right into WoT and know what they're doing.It takes thousands of games before most people start understanding some of the most basic mechanics of that game.It takes 10k before most people start understanding vision mechanics yet alone all of the armor profiles and pen values across the assorted tanks.Aside from knowing how to lead shots, what ammo to shoot, and what momentum is people can jump into cruisers or BBs and be up to speed pretty darn fast relative to tanks.If you're a BB shoot AP at the water line and avoid planes.If you're a cruiser spam HE at ships and try to get between your CVs/BBs and any planes/dds.CVs and DDs have more of a learning curve, imho, but getting to a level where you can contribute to a win in an organized manner still seems a smaller effort to me than tanks.

signature.png

WoT/WoWs/AW Discord: https://discord.gg/BN6M4YU

DHO Discord including SWGOH: https://discord.gg/r2msMS8

#3 DEWEY_96_

DEWEY_96_

Pack Leader

• Pack Leader
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Real first name:Doug
  • WoT ID:DEWEY_96_

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:29 PM

Hmmm.... I see where you are coming from Sly... But I think WoWS takes just as much effort as WOT...

For example... You mention armor profiles... In WoWS armor and it's use is just as important... As is understanding your ship.If I am in my St Louis where my citadel is toward the rear an experienced player will angle the ship "bow in" to minimize risk of citadel hits... Phoenix citadel is mid ship closer to the front so I angle away to try and protect it.Vision mechanics? Spotting ranges, smoke, aircraft, and ship type are all things an experienced player learns (watching tier 2 DDs act like BBs show that all the time).Use of cover/islands?I see Cruisers and DDs run in and out of islands perfectly to hit and run.

I guess I'm just saying that there is as much to learn in Ships as Tanks...

I really think that we will benefit with training rooms, when they come, to help with new players learning the curve.

Rocking the Tapatalk with my LG3

Dad First, Work and Play second

dark.png

#4 Ayleward2

Ayleward2

Commander

• WoT Commanders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 11:10 AM

Well, maybe knowing what you are doing is not the right idea.More that player X is new, but can start right off in tier 1 damaging tanks.Warships you might even against the AI have games that you do no damage as you do not have the reflexive lead at range that others have learned, and/or torps are new and you come around a corner and get destroyed instantly because you have not developed the map awareness that there was a DD spotted over there 2 minutes ago.

Ayle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ayle
Posted Image

#5 Platt_Mallar

Platt_Mallar

Wordy and Nerdy

• Tanker Leaders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts
  • Real first name:Jacob
  • Xbox:Platt Mallar
  • Steam:platt9

Posted 23 August 2015 - 02:30 PM

I think both games are relatively similar, in regards to the skill curve.You learn the basic skills easily (move forward, turn, fire cannons) but the higher skills are just a difficult in either game.Learning to use islands to break contact, sail out of spotting range, and re-engage targets is just as difficult as using a double-bush while spotting your own targets.

Posted Image

PC
Posted Image

Users Awards

#6 Geek_Verve

Geek_Verve

Pack Leader

• Pack Leader
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 11:34 AM

I just tried WoWS for the first time last night, so you could most certainly consider me a new/noob player. I won one battle in each of my two baby cruisers and called it a night. Aside from monitoring my ships profile to minimize hits from enemy ships, leading targets and selecting ammo according to range to target (thanks, Jingles), my first foray into the game was fairly straightforward. I say this with the full knowledge that I haven't even scratched the surface of learning what it takes to become a better player. In that regard I would consider it very similar from a learning curve perspective to WoT - easy enough to contribute (ok, maybe easier than in WoT, because it doesn't take much to get your tank vaporized in the first minute), but not particularly obvious about how to be good.

I would be very interested in platooning with clan mates and hopefully learning some of the stuff that helps the wheat rise above the chaff, so to speak.

Posted Image

#7 Deo

Deo

Assassin

• Assassin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts
  • Steam:typh3us

Posted 01 October 2015 - 12:08 PM

Back to topic. If/when they get a clan system into WoWs, it is irrelevant as there aren't even any clan activities in the game to need/use a clan. You can simply start with a basic DHO and worry about creating a 2.. if/when there are enough to fill the clan. For all we know, they might just copy the existing clans over and be lazy about it.

Posted Image
This is my reroll.

#8 Rogueislehero

Rogueislehero

Commander

• Commander
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Real first name:Roy
  • WoT ID:PowTayTow

Posted 01 October 2015 - 02:45 PM

I'm hoping they let us create different clans in WoWs otherwise DHO is gonna have several at the start and we still won't be able to coordinate divisions. For the near term we still have the Dad's Hideout channel. 

#9 KlystronZ

KlystronZ

I miss my Kitakami...

• Pack Leader
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Real first name:Jeremy

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:55 PM

I know there are quite a few more Dads, like me, that have stopped playing WoT all together in favor of WoWs. I really hope they don't link the clans between WoWs and WoT, but if they do I'd be up for dropping my WoT's DHO6 tag and joining a "DHO-WS" (or DHO-1stFleet, or DHO-F***CVs or whatever).

dark.png

#10 Hapa_Fodder

Hapa_Fodder

Chief

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts
  • Real first name:Chris

Posted 02 October 2015 - 01:16 PM

"Stand by for words from your Chief"

My intention, if I am still in this hemisphere of the planet when they start up clan systems is to burn my gold, start the Clan up....  I plan on naming us as such

DHO 1stflt  (1st Fleet)

DHO 2ndflt (2nd Fleet)

so on and so forth if we have that many.

RIGHT NOW, I need everyone that plays to take a round turn on the DHO in game chat channel, start adding the other DHO to your friends list if you haven't already...  I will try to build ANOTHER player list from my friends list.

I will be posting a DHO Fleet Manifesto soon.  We are a pub clan and I intend to maintain that, however, I want us to get away if possible from raging and such IN GAME if possible.  I would like us to beef up our reputation some.  Possible?  I think so, but it requires everyone's participation.

"That is all, carry on."

"True leaders understand that leadership is not about them but about those they serve. It is not about exalting themselves but about lifting others up.”

I can imagine a no more rewarding career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worth while, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: "I served in the United States Navy." -JFK

dark.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users