What is my Ships Role in WoWs?

So Since we just went to open Beta I thought I would post some quick tips on what your roll is in WoWs.  Whether that be a DD, CL/CA, BB or CV....

So this is a real simple description of what your job should be:

DD: BB killer, your job is to try to sneak in deal as much damage, hate, discontent and distraction as you can and get out alive using your torps and speed.  I was going to say stealth and smoke... but honestly right now they are a bit broken

CL/CA: Your job is simple, You are the screen, meaning you provide AA and ANTI-DD coverage for your capital ships(BB's).  If you are travelling with a BB, FOCUS on DD's that come in range.  DRIVE towards aircraft to eat them up.  Too many times I've seen BB's breaking off engagements to dodge DD's when there are two cruisers sitting near them spamming at a BB and dealing minimal dmg...  Your guns will WRECK DD's... use them.  Beyond that, you have a new ability, "SONAR." You can detect ships in smoke and torpedo's further out.  USE IT!

CV: Your job is simple, CAPITAL SHIP KILLER.  You need to target the biggest threat ships and go for them with everything.  Priority should be CV, BB, CA then everything else...  Use your Dive Bombers on CL's, DD's and CV's to maximize dmg with them and TB's on everything else.

And Finally BB:  Your job is simple, You are NOT a brawler so get that out of your head now.  Unless you are the last ship on your team, you should be engaging as far back as you can.  Trying to maximize your dmg and your HP.  Don't be the BB that YOLO's into a fight and gets wrecked in 2 seconds... That is pointless and not helpful to your team.

Like I said a quick synopsis on how you should play each class of ship.

SO BB's tbh in BB's I fire almost exclusively AP now... I have had GREAT success firing AP for entire matches, only switching to HE when I shoot at DD's or really lower tier cruisers...

Cruisers I fire HE almost exclusively unless I'm firing at a same or lower tier Cruiser then I throw AP in every 2nd or 3rd salvo

DD's I fire ONLY HE... though AP on CV's I heard works wonders

• 3 weeks later...

So you're a BB driver... Big scary mean armored behemoth right? WRONG, you are an easy target.... long reload... can catch fire easily!  So if you are in the front, you're doing it WRONG!

Let the cruisers and DD's go out in front of you, stay back at max or near max range and lob shells!  Cruisers should be up front in everyones face!  Shooting at other cruisers and DD's.

"But Hapa, I die really fast when I do that!"  Well here's the deal, in a cruiser, DONT TRAVEL IN A STRAIGHT LINE.  Fire a salvo and change directions, fire a salvo and change directions... if its you 1 vs 1 with a bb.  Drive parallel with them, if they are at range when they fire, turn toward the enemy HARD till the shells land, then back parallel and get your 2-3 shots off on him.  Rinse and repeat!

DD's learn to be cold, collected and calculated!  Dont just rush in and die, stay back, watch the battle unfold, find a nice area to hide behind and pop out to surprise sex people...

hey Bud, what's with the BB is that a battle ship, and DD I assume is a destroyer, something with a C in it is a cruiser right? Sorry for being slow.

ya, you're getting it...

BB = Battleship

CL/CA = Cruisers (light/heavy although there's not too much distinction yet in WoWs)

DD = Destroyers

CV = Carriers

hey Bud, what's with the BB is that a battle ship, and DD I assume is a destroyer, something with a C in it is a cruiser right? Sorry for being slow.

ya, you're getting it...

BB = Battleship

CL/CA = Cruisers (light/heavy although there's not too much distinction yet in WoWs)

DD = Destroyers

CV = Carriers

Only in the USA.  in the rest of the world and in NATO an aircraft carrier is an R and in the US to refer to a carrier by flag hoist or flashing light you use "R" as well.

• 2 weeks later...

ya, you're getting it...

BB = Battleship

DD = Destroyers

CV = Carriers

Thanks, that had me a little befuddled, as well... although I had a feeling that's what they were.