Sign in to follow this  
SlyGambit

So OTTER had all of their gold stolen

Actually the wotlabs thread made mention of OTTER being started by guys that did the exact same thing to their former clan. Before my time so someone else can elaborate.

MLP (my little ponies) which was basically a top clan back when it was a Europe CW map had their leader, Voth, kick everyone and take everything for himself.  AFAIK that is in no way related to OTTER. 

REL_3 had someone steal from there treasury once upon a time.  LXG got hit with it at the end of the last mini-campaign (ironically after DHO-X mapped them).  There are a few smaller examples but it hasn't happened that often.

been happening since the start of of the gold payouts.  Happened back when I was in IR long..long time ago, and I believe when I was in Forge (not for sure on that one my memory being what it is)

GrannyW had a great response to some of the comments in the forum (I put her comments in yellow):

Thoringer, on May 08 2015 - 00:09, said:

Playing devil's advocate here: Wargaming could just ban both and not give the Gold back, hence taking $1500+ out of the economy. Surely Otter players might spend a few bucks here and there if they don't have enough in their own account - at least more so than if they can get the 500k Gold distributed.

For my part, I wonder why a clan would have a gold hoard that big. Maybe I miss something...   

The payout was from the Clan Invitational winnings including sheriff acct earnings of individual soldiers. We were building the spreadsheet and getting info from WG on # of battles played by individuals so we could pay them the correct amount and split it out fairly. All of this was the soldier's earned gold from those sources. OTTER payout out everything we earn to soldiers. So they stole it from one of the hardest working and talented groups of individuals I've had the honor of playing/working with.

Kajex, on May 08 2015 - 07:57, said:

From what I gather, they had access to the clan treasury, which means this wasn't technically theft.  Wrong, yes, but not a crime.  Interested to see if WG does anything about this (I doubt it).   

No, its theft, outright. Tioga promoted VonLuckner, a soldier, and that account stole the gold. They did this within minutes and quit the clan. "Technically" and in reality, this is theft.  The way wargaming sets up permissions, there is no way to isolate the treasury from roles that are required to run the wartime footing of a clan like OTTER,, and there is no way to isolate promotions. Our tacticians and strategists (like Tioga) need to be able to do things on the map.

Every other game I've been in allows you to isolate these functions and build in safeguards. While the treasury is now tracked, it isn't locked down.

It is a huge breach of trust. And to run a clan you absolutely MUST trust at least a handful of people. It's a massive job that really needs almost 24/7 coverage when you operate at a highly competitive level. This is too big for a single person, or even two or three. Even if they are unemployed.

NK_33, on May 08 2015 - 07:41, said:

They stole virtual money, but does the value of the services (not goods) the money can purchase make this a real theft?  If they try to sell their accounts with all that gold in it, that would be profiting in real world money for their virtual theft.  Interesting legal question.  Let's take this to the Supreme Court, and watch their old brains melt.   

The virtual money was earned by a group of ~90 individuals and represents hours and weeks of hard concentrated effort, training and planning.  You don't need to take it to the Supreme Court. There are many examples already out there. This isn't Eve where its part of the game. But this is a game that is not US based, but rather Russian based. In Japan, it would be prosecutable. Each country is different.

Will WG do anything? I don't know. I would hope that since they instituted tracking, they would, at a minimum, remove all funds and rollback any changes to those accounts. These people should not benefit from their actions.

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die, any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh." ~ George Bernard Shaw ~

Might want to get rid of your top sig Sierra.  Tioga.moe is out of business.  Wotlabs has cut them off from the stats DB and to say the least the proprietor of Tioga.moe is no longer a trustworthy individual.  ;)

Hmm, just saw this post and thought, wow, what a thread. So big in so little a time. Guess I missed something. Will have to read the thread.

Might want to get rid of your top sig Sierra.  Tioga.moe is out of business.  Wotlabs has cut them off from the stats DB and to say the least the proprietor of Tioga.moe is no longer a trustworthy individual.  ;)

I left it activated to see what else would happen to it today.  I was hoping someone would manage to hack in and do something memorable (maybe like posting his real name and address on the signature tag - that would be great)

I'll dump it at some point.

As much disdain I may hold for some of the top clans, mostly how lesser clans are looked down upon, those two asshats are crooks. The clan worked the path to get where they are and it was just wrong to take it.

And now the joke: it would be a cold day in hell if could bring myself to do that to the clan, laugh if you want but I have too much respect for the institution and it's members. Rest assured men and besides the risk is bad all the way around. Either scorned for stealing or laughed at over the amount. :p

Hmm, just saw this post and thought, wow, what a thread. So big in so little a time. Guess I missed something. Will have to read the thread.

X should be like the US government to OTTER. We'll give the TARP funds but we get an 80% stake in the clan. We can offer you all 20 gold in our treasury but we're gonna need 1 million percent interest.

I assume we have a deal?

Well that's a bummer. What's worse was getting mapped for the first time ever in CW. OTTER vs CHAI, BULBA, and PINGU. Can't do all 3, plus some subclans, at the same time. As for the gold, I'm pretty sure most in OTTER saw the gold as a nice bonus, but not critical. If you wanted gold for real, you played in the weekly tournaments. Clan gold was just a fringe benefit.

I do feel bad, however, for anyone who liked or befriended or trusted these guys. The feeling of betrayal is a taste you just can't get rid of. Do I think WG will do something? Probably. Doesn't look good when you pay out the winner of your Clan Invitational Tournament and have this happen and do nothing.

Yeah, and I do feel bad for Granny, who is like our mother hen and mascot. I know she's probably bent out of shape a little bit because of the principle.

So for everyone here who thought of me and felt bad, no worries. Those that didn't or worse  :dave